quick question on a glowing red exhaust liner tee

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jwscarab

Dec 5, 2007
SE Indiana
Still installing my new T6. But I remember 2 years ago I had a runaway fire in my DW2479 everburn only to find the short horizontal run and the cleanout tee to be glowing red - not sure of temps. I believe my stuff is 304ss. My tee is now kinda rainbow colored.

I bought a new black elbow and horizontal pipe to match my new T6. I was going to mate to old tee/flex.

Do I need to replace the tee cause of the overfire? Did I break down the material in any way? Or am I still good to go with old tee? Obviously still looks and feels stout - the whole setup is only 3 years old.

Thanks guys!!

I'd keep the tee if it is sound. Be sure to keep the horiz. pipe as short as possible and have it pitched uphill going to the tee.

Thanks BeGreen!! Your help is always appreciated!!

I am running a 90 elbow right off the T6, then a 18" horizontal into the tee. I have room to tilt up a tad. Then 32ft flex/ridgid to top. External chimney.

Was considering a damper in the 18" horizontal run too, what do u think on that?

Very likely no permanent damage from the prior overfire. At least nothing that will be a problem due to the continued service as stovepipe. 304 SS will sensitize from welding (higher temps and a MUCH faster heat-up involved there) but even with that, any effects of property degradation and/or corrosion susceptibility aren't likely to be tested by your stove.

I wouldn't put a damper on the flue unless necessary. My guess is the stove might be a bit balky at first until the flue warms up. If the flex is insulated that will help. Pitch the horz run up 1/4" per foot.

What are the advantages of a tee vs an elbow? My stove is top vented with a 90 to another 90 that attaches to the liner.

Easier cleaning without disassembling any pipe. The bottom tee cap is just popped off for cleaning.

Thanks all for the help! I'll try it w/o a damper first. I hope to be up and running soon. A HVAC friend is going to help me form a block off plate then I am ready to burn.

What would cause the bottom T cup fill with water in a couple of week of buring pellets? Could it be some kind of condensation? THe vent runs thru the chimney and has a cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.