Quick wood ID for fun

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Eureka

Feeling the Heat
Feb 4, 2018
NW Wisconsin
I was thinning out some tree lines over the weekend and hauled in a cord of this. Thought it’d be fun to exercise your wood ID skills. I’ll let the experts call it as I do know what it is ::P

405F865A-9543-4B85-927E-23E4F01CC889.jpeg
7846D7BF-1E5E-41CC-AEE5-C7A39B431903.jpeg
FA2F4C41-43E9-48C1-AAF9-6998D4C5E4ED.jpeg

Last edited:
No expert here, just an old really old hillbilly.
But I'll play your game.
looks like a piece of Bass Wood,do I win a cigar.
Just a SWAG.

Last edited:
Your well north of my familiar species. I'll second Jack's guess of basswood. That combo of diamond pattern bark along with dark reddish brown cambium layer and mild light colored grain meets none of the trees I am familiar with.

I played the game looking at pictures before checking the responses. My immediate thought from the first picture was basswood. The picture of the splits confirmed it! I've been burning a lot of it the past two months.

By the way, where in NW WI are you? My inlaws are east of Superior (little town of Poplar) so I'm up that way visiting quite often.

By the way, where in NW WI are you? My inlaws are east of Superior (little town of Poplar) so I'm up that way visiting quite often.

Just across the border from the Twin Cities. Guess it’s really the southern fringe of NW WI

Linden

Basswood

Yeah great job at that, it was too easy! Next time I’ll leave out the split pictures. Don’t hear a lot about basswood (linden) but it’s great for this time of year. Maybe I’ll add something new and try it again soon. I just like these wood ID threads, it’s interesting and I like learning new trees from other areas. Thanks!

Only problem I have with burning basswood is the smell! Out side it smells like burning old socks!

The maple, oak, elm and birch I largely burn doesn’t smell good to me either. I don’t think I e burned a good smelling wood... some say Apple smells good I don’t know, I’ve never burnt it. Good thing everything goes up my very tall stove and chimney pipes and out over the lake.

Another good smelling wood, Chinese Chestnut. Dense, burns as well as any oak and has a nutty smell. Some of this is getting a little easier to come by as a lot of these trees were planted in the 30's and 40's and are reaching maturity and getting prone to storm damage.

The maple, oak, elm and birch I largely burn doesn’t smell good to me either. I don’t think I e burned a good smelling wood... some say Apple smells good I don’t know, I’ve never burnt it. Good thing everything goes up my very tall stove and chimney pipes and out over the lake.
Ha ha! If you get desperate for wood you sometimes burn anything! JK My experience burning basswood comes from my cottage in Ontario. Have an old small wood stove to take the chill off in the evenings. Being at the bottom of the hill to the lake the smoke can jsut sit there for a while. My Quad at home burns clean! Very little smoke smell from any wood.

Ha ha! If you get desperate for wood you sometimes burn anything! JK My experience burning basswood comes from my cottage in Ontario. Have an old small wood stove to take the chill off in the evenings. Being at the bottom of the hill to the lake the smoke can jsut sit there for a while. My Quad at home burns clean! Very little smoke smell from any wood.
Yeah right, my stove burns good and clean too but a neighbor here bought old small dragons (2) so I have to smell his wreak. Agh. Good thing he’s not up to his cabin all winter long.