Rabbit eating pissed on weeds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogwildz

Minister of Fire
So I realized a few years back that pissing on weeds around the house(outside), that after 2 or 3 soakings, the weeds die out. I figured I could save on the well, water, septic and just drain the lizard outside, cause I can. And I remembered when I was a kid, the back yard always had dead spots where the dog peed. So I gave it a whirl, and it sure a shat works. Organic, water saving, and free.

Well I started to "treat" the weeds in the stone driveway, and when I would come out for a second or third sprinkling, the weed would be gone. I thought " it could not have died, dried up and disappeared that fast".
So I am working in my office the other day, look out the window, and there is my buddy Mr. Wabbit chomping and ripping the weeds I pissed on and eating them. Every single time and weed I do this too, the rabbit eats.
I have no clue if this is a treat for him/her, or dangerous, or what. But it keeps coming back and chowing down on the weeds I douse.

On a lighter note, soon as the rabbit is done eating, he sprawls out under my truck full extension in the shade and just hangs out for hours LOL. Maybe it catches a buzz LOL

Strange but true......

Thats tooo Funny

LMAO

So I realized a few years back that pissing on weeds around the house(outside), that after 2 or 3 soakings, the weeds die out. I figured I could save on the well, water, septic and just drain the lizard outside, cause I can. And I remembered when I was a kid, the back yard always had dead spots where the dog peed. So I gave it a whirl, and it sure a shat works. Organic, water saving, and free.

Well I started to "treat" the weeds in the stone driveway, and when I would come out for a second or third sprinkling, the weed would be gone. I thought " it could not have died, dried up and disappeared that fast".
So I am working in my office the other day, look out the window, and there is my buddy Mr. Wabbit chomping and ripping the weeds I pissed on and eating them. Every single time and weed I do this too, the rabbit eats.
I have no clue if this is a treat for him/her, or dangerous, or what. But it keeps coming back and chowing down on the weeds I douse.

On a lighter note, soon as the rabbit is done eating, he sprawls out under my truck full extension in the shade and just hangs out for hours LOL. Maybe it catches a buzz LOL

Strange but true......
Do you work with any rabbit hunters!:eek:

It is funny, but I am serious. It works.
I am pretty sure what is burning the weeds/grass is the uric acid.
No cover charge as he is earning his keep eating the weeds. win/win.
Trapping in this state is fairly common. But not my thing.
The animals on my property must know they are safe. They all just turn and look at me when I walk around. Can't get right next to them, but they don't dart off at first sight or noise either.
I have a chipmunk buddy that comes a running when he either sees me, or hears me make a kissing sound. He knows he has some treats coming to him.
Will even crawl up on a pc of drift wood out front and sit and wait for me. Sometimes even calls me with his demanding"come feed me" chirp.
Came running up between my legs while putting brakes on the truck once, caught me off guard and I jumped up and and gave him a few choice words. He learned something that day.
Just didn't want a surprise with him going after my nuts.

Urine is not acidic, it's Normally about neutral. What "burns" the plants is too much nitrogen from uric acid, not the pH. I only point it out because people think they can neutralize it with lime to prevent its from dieting when a dog or a biker or something pees on the lawn, but flushing quickly with water is a better cure.

Last time I tried that, the cops showed up. Guess the neighbors didn't like the way I Weeded my drive way.

Salad dressing?

You guys just like to pee outside, you can make any excuse you want as to "why" but us gals know you don't need a reason to justify it, it's something in your DNA that drives you to "mark" your territory :)

Adios, actually there is acid in urine, it is called uric acid, and too much of it can be a cause of kidney stones. I have passed more than a dozen over the years.
Kidney stones are not a pleasant thing. I was merely guessing about uric acid killing the grass.
But you are right about the Nitrogen. And it is not so much about dehydration, which will cause higher amounts of Nitrogen, as urine is already fairly high in Nitrogen content, but more the repetitive application in the same spot. Highly acidic or alkaline urine may also alter pH of the soil in that spot.

Hearth Mistress, yes we pee almost wherever, whenever we want, cause we can ;-)
I have no neighbors that can see me, so I pretty much can do as I please around here inside or out.

Adios, actually there is acid in urine, it is called uric acid, and too much of it can be a cause of kidney stones. I have passed more than a dozen over the years.
Kidney stones are not a pleasant thing. I was merely guessing about uric acid killing the grass.
But you are right about the Nitrogen. And it is not so much about dehydration, which will cause higher amounts of Nitrogen, as urine is already fairly high in Nitrogen content, but more the repetitive application in the same spot. Highly acidic or alkaline urine may also alter pH of the soil in that spot.

Hearth Mistress, yes we pee almost wherever, whenever we want, cause we can ;-)
I have no neighbors that can see me, so I pretty much can do as I please around here inside or out.

Acid in the urine is neutralized, in part by leaching bone calcium which may lead to calcium oxalate stones. If your urine is still low pH, then the solubility of uric acid does drop: super saturation caused by dehydration then becomes an issue.

My point is- normal urine pH is around 7. Plants can tolerate a decent pH range around that- if your pee is very high or low pH such that it's killing weeds (which are usually pretty hardy), it indicates a potential issue. If your pee is killing plants at neutral pH, it's a possible indicator of dehydration- yes unless you are really unloading a lot of it! Everyone drink more beer- we're weeding!

Huh huh- pee pee

Reactions: Pallet Pete
Mr Rabbit needs electrolytes too - Your providing a personal small sized salt-lick for him;lol

Reactions: n3pro
I have noticed that, like the dog, sometimes our pee spots green up the grass and sometimes they leave dead spots. No pattern that I can pick out. Maybe the moisture content in the soil. Seems the grass is more tolerant when the soil is dry.

I have noticed that, like the dog, sometimes our pee spots green up the grass and sometimes they leave dead spots. No pattern that I can pick out. Maybe the moisture content in the soil. Seems the grass is more tolerant when the soil is dry.
Female dogs burn it worse. If they pee more at a time (like Mr. Hogwildz suggests), it will be too much N- often it's a burn spot, and dark green around it.

There are places where if you pee, then butterflies will be attracted to it as they are looking- I believe- for salt

Hiker out west are warned to piss on bare rock as the sheep and other critters will dig up the dirt otherwise to get at the salt.

Female dogs burn it worse. If they pee more at a time (like Mr. Hogwildz suggests), it will be too much N- often it's a burn spot, and dark green around it.

There are places where if you pee, then butterflies will be attracted to it as they are looking- I believe- for salt
Yep the butterflies like it also.

In the military they taught us to wiz on our feet to kill bacteria then wash. ( if meds where not available ) It actually works. Disgusting yes but I bet the big guy knew what he was doing when he installed a general purpose weed killer & bacteria destroyer lol. This is the best thread in a while hogs :D !

Pete

Reactions: Shane N and ScotO
You all are invited for a piss-off at our house. I have about an acre in gardens that have exceeded my abilities to cover adequately. I'll provide water, beer and tea. Dogs also welcome, especially if they like venison.

Status
Not open for further replies.