Rack 'em up!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woody Stover

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2010
Southern IN
A couple weeks ago, I got out behind my two SILs houses (next door) before the brush came in heavy, and swept house on a bunch of the smaller dead/down stuff. It turned out to be pretty productive even though it was a bit of messing around, threading a quad trail and bucking small wood. About two cords total, I think. Racks hold 2/3 cord. Unfortunately, the Fiskars was missing after this foray. I looked for it, but it might only be see by furry woodland creatures from now on... :confused:
This stuff is dry enough already! Back row here had some wood left from last year so only a quad trailer load added there. Front row all from this grab, mainly Dogwood and Mulberry.
005_zps897758d8.jpg

Dry, ready to be split and stacked in shed.
006_zps9fa093a0.jpg

Here's some White Ash and Dogwood that will be split and dried for 2015.
007_zps6868b7be.jpg

One of my other SILs is also putting up a shed this year. There's about a cord of Silver Maple in the background, split and stacked a couple months ago, now tossed aside in a heap to be re-stacked in the shed later. <>
0022_zps19ba90d0.jpg

More from the grab that's ready to be split and put in her shed. Cherry, Mulberry, Dogwood...and a little Redbud. [ Darker wood from previous scrounge, far left.] Biggest Cherries are 14", sapwood all gone. ==c
003_zps277c6fe9.jpg

The cool-looking Redbud, which you can see in the previous stack pic on the bottom, right of the Cherry.
004_zpsf796c175.jpg

Some stuff that was cleared for the shed, tossed aside. I said "Hey, that's firewood!" >> WIll sit and dry a couple years...
001_zps0206c18a.jpg

Man that's a load of wood there Woody! The stuff in the second picture looks as dry as Driftwood ! Great job!!!!

The stuff in the second picture looks as dry as Driftwood !
Most of the stuff was either standing dead or down. Dogwood and Mulberry hold up well, even down wood. The stuff in the second pic seemed a little heavier than the ones I stacked in the shed, so we'll split those and stack it in the back row to give it a little more time; It'll take a while for her to get to that back row. Not pictured is a cord of soft Maple already stacked in the other side of the shed, so I'm close to having her covered for winter '14.

Nice! I wish I had that kind of space.

Nice score! I scrounge all the dogwood thats down in my woods, good stuff! Well, I scrounge everything thats down but especially the dogwood :)

Nice score! I scrounge all the dogwood thats down in my woods, good stuff! Well, I scrounge everything thats down but especially the dogwood :)
A lot of people don't mess with small wood but I'll grab it any time. Dogwood is as good as Hickory! Besides the Mulberry, I also run across some Slippery (Red) Elm. Just under 22 BTU but I really like that stuff...the wood is beautiful. :) I get a few little Persimmon as well. Then there's always a few of the common stuff, Oak, Hickory, Tulip.

Awesome, might be time to start thinking about some hydraulics

Status
Not open for further replies.