Radiating heat observation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WellSeasoned

I have been running the stove non stop since thursday afternoon, cooling down a bit for daytime (upper 30's-low 40's) and heating up at night, (19to30) I have definitely noticed the longer the stove has run, the warmer the house stays. Like right now, its 28 outside, yet 78 in living, dining room & kitchen, while its 70 In the hall,2 bedrooms and bathroom. Wood stoves are just amazing. I learn more every day. Need to get a kettle I think though. Keep getting thirsty, cotton mouth, and my eye balls feel like they are drying up. my nose on the other hand is so pleasantly clear from allergies I usually have, so I sleep better.

Think of your place as a heat bank.
A nice steady heat will penetrate your walls even after awhile..but frost in your walls takes a lot to get out.
I'm dramatizing .but you get the idea I'm sure.

Another thing that well amaze you..get a humidifier ..a real one..not just a kettle on your stove.
I'm willing to bet you are under 35% relative humidity in your place.
Moist air will hold the heat and feel warmer then hot dry air.

HotCoals said:
Think of your place as a heat bank.
A nice steady heat will penetrate your walls even after awhile..but frost in your walls takes a lot to get out.
I'm dramatizing .but you get the idea I'm sure.

Another thing that well amaze you..get a humidifier ..a real one..not just a kettle on your stove.
I'm willing to bet you are under 35% relative humidity in your place.
Moist air will hold the heat and feel warmer then hot dry air.

+1

Stove heats up . . . stuff in the house and house itself heats up . . . and holds the heat . . . of course better insulation and less drafts helps hold the heat.

+1 to the humidifier as well.

Interesting that the subject is "Radiating heat observation" yet your observation is anything but. As was mentioned, the construation materials are a large thermal mass that take time to absorb and give back the heat. When I was building my home it was Winter and I was heating it with my woodstove. I would notice how much time and heat output from the stove it would take to get the house warm.

Generally, the term "radiant heat" refers to the heat that travels in a straight line, like infrared light. It can heat the person without giving up much of the heat to the air between the person and the heat source. You can stand by the fire and be toasty in front yet freeze your backside. In stone castles, one could never get the air to be warm enough so they designed wing chairs that not only blocked cold drafts from behind, but also reflected some of the radiant heat from the fire back to the person.

You'll also notice that once you get the structure warm it's best to keep it warm. That's why most folks burn 24/7. Once the structure is cold it takes awhile to heat it, while a forced air furnace is heating the air so you feel warmer faster but air does not hold heat well so the furnace has to keep cycling. Ever time you open a door you replace warm air with cold and it starts over again. As for the allergies, dry nose etc. I have the same experience forced air blowing around really dries out the sinuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.