Radon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

itworks

Jul 23, 2008
Southwestern CT
I've spent a lot of time and $$$ this summer replacing windows, doors, adding insulation, and caulking to make my 55 year old house more efficient. Now that the house is tighter I would like to test it for radon. Would love to hear your suggestions regarding accurate radon testing equipment.

Thanks

you can buy radon test kits at a major hardware store or online. The two canister test kit is easy to use and very accurate.
All you need to do is send them to the lab after leaving them in your house for two days. Most home inspectors also provide
this service for a reasonable fee.

I have two electronic detectors. They were about a hundred bucks apiece at the time - maybe they are cheaper now. We have one in the basement and one on the first floor. I could see the effect of installing a fan, turning it off, etc. We've had them for a couple of years and like them. You could easily get by with one.

The best time to test for radon is in the cold part of the winter, when the radon will potentially be at it's highest in your house. You want to do the test in your basement, and make sure you don't have any ventilation (opened or cracked open windows) happening in the basement for at least a few days prior to, and during the test. The idea is you want to invite the radon to build up so you really know if you have a problem. Your house will 'suck' in any radon most when it's very cold outside and warm inside.

velvetfoot said:

I have the same unit. It seems to work fine and for the most part agrees with a data logging geiger counter I have.

In my opinion, the charcoal tests are only good for showing you a range. In other words, if the test comes back really high then you better do something. If the test comes back borderline, then it could be due to weather conditions and may be a false positive or negative. For instance, the level of radon in my basement will fluctuate significantly with changes in air pressure as witnessed by my geiger counter. Either way, no radon is good.

If you go with the test kits, follow the directions to the letter especially when it asks you for the time of day it was placed out and then shipped to the lab. Those numbers are critical for them to estimate the radon level.

Just as a follow up, I disconnected the 15 watt radon fan for several days and the detector reading in the basement went from about 1.5 to 11.5. Plugged it back in and it's down to 2.6 in a couple of days.

I've been putting foam on the walls, but did not put any caulk in floor cracks. I don't think what I did had any effect on the radon.

EDIT: It stabilized at 1.3.

Status
Not open for further replies.