Rain Storm vs Wood Pile Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Caw

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2020
Massachusetts
Hi Folks,

I just had a cord of mostly seasoned hardwood delivered today to buy my self harvested stash some more time during shoulder season. I'm pretty happy with the quality it's all 20-25% and will be ready by November. Happy to share the supplier if anyone is looking.

That said as I was going out to stack it the skies opened up and we're getting a mega tstorm with torrential rains. So my wood is still just in a giant pile on the driveway getting soaked.

How long should I wait to stack it? Does it even matter as it's most of the way seasoned and it has 4-5 months to finish in the stack? It's 80+ and sunny most days now.

Never has this issue before! My other 4 cords are already stacked and tarped.

Thanks!

Everyone will have different opinions about this based on their location, annual weather, past experiences, etc. however I would recommend stacking it as soon as possible to get air flow around the wood. They don't get much sun/air when in a jumbled pile. Covering it is personal preference. I'm north of you and don't top cover the wood I will be burning until late August/early September to allow as much sun/air seasoning as possible. Then it gets moved into the firewood shed just before the first snow falls. The rest of my stacks (for future years) get top covered during winter but I could care less about rain getting on them.

Not an issue, if you put it up on pallets and do not tight stack it and put some tin on top of it its non issue.

Thanks all. I'll just stack it now as I originally planned.

I would stack it right away and maybe give it a few days with no top cover if the forecast is clear and sunny. If you got rain coming and other chores to do, just stack it, cover it and move on.