Raise fireplace to create hearth?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pburgh

Sep 8, 2010
Merrimack NH
I have a KozyHeat Z42 that currently sits directly on the subfloor. The fireplace sits inside a framed space that runs floor to 15' ceiling. It's the focal point of our great room. What I would like to do is lift the fireplace about 6", create a hearth in front, and wrap the entire column in some an engineered stone product.

The chimney is a straight shot up from the fireplace -- it passes through the roof and rises up about 4' to the cap and roof brace. Is the collar that sits at the roof something that can be loosened so that duct below can slide through?

Is this within the realm of DIY, or should I be calling a chimney shop? I'm a capable builder, but don't know too much about chimneys.

I can take a few photos if need be!

Thanks!

I have a KozyHeat Z42 that currently sits directly on the subfloor. The fireplace sits inside a framed space that runs floor to 15' ceiling. It's the focal point of our great room. What I would like to do is lift the fireplace about 6", create a hearth in front, and wrap the entire column in some an engineered stone product.

The chimney is a straight shot up from the fireplace -- it passes through the roof and rises up about 4' to the cap and roof brace. Is the collar that sits at the roof something that can be loosened so that duct below can slide through?

Is this within the realm of DIY, or should I be calling a chimney shop? I'm a capable builder, but don't know too much about chimneys.

Thanks!

what type of chimney? Class A?

Thanks!
You would pretty much have to dissasemble the chimney pull the firebox out then refra me it. After that put everything back together

Here is a photo of the upper portion.

I can't answer what class it is.

SZWMXM9ZuGjhYUCPoLy685PMsGTSrSTVranT7cv4raU7BLIdBUppX7b7W9O5lsoTShfhJxQuzxnrk_21Eg=w1303-h974-no.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a photo of the upper portion.

I can't answer what class it is.

View attachment 220122

Looks like class A to me.. If you have a ways to support it above the stove you could disconnect it, slide it up, remove your stove to install elevated hearth. Then slide it back down and reconnect.. then you could either leave the chimney height the same (meaning it would be 6'' higher) or you could possible remove the last section of chimney as long as your above the peak..

The chimney will be pretty heavy to slide up and support while you are raising the hearth so make sure you awear of that.. also you will have to wait till the snow clears because you will have to get on the roof to loosen support bracket and storm collar so that the chimney will move.. is there access to all sections of the chimney in side?

Yes definatly class a that is easier if you can handle the weight and support it somehow you could lift the chimney as a unit.

Thanks for the replies. I won't be tackling this until the Spring -- just fact-finding at the moment.

The framed area will be 100% accessible as I will be removing drywall... so I will be able to either design a lift to raise everything or disconnect pieces as needed.

Thanks for the replies. I won't be tackling this until the Spring -- just fact-finding at the moment.

The framed area will be 100% accessible as I will be removing drywall... so I will be able to either design a lift to raise everything or disconnect pieces as needed.
How tall is the chimney overall?