Raised Concrete Hearth Under Stove- Temperature Stability

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sblizzard

Jan 7, 2022
Portland, OR
I am inserting a wood stove into an existing masonry fireplace (1929). The model is Kuma Alpine Le. I will be installing the stove on a raised custom concrete bench-style hearth, with the stove lifted on brick (inside fireplace) and pulled forward onto the hearth approximately 7 inches (give or take). So, the stove will be partially overlapping on the concrete hearth bench. The manufacturer of said hearth bench indicated that contact with high temperature of the stove may damage the concrete. Does anyone have experience with their stove being in direct contact with concrete? Have you experienced any cracking, spalling, explosions, otherwise? Thanks in advance for any experiences or advice you can offer.

Please see example image of concrete hearth bench, except mine will be a stove insert in a masonry fireplace with only several inches overlap. Also, see image of my actual fireplace with a stove/hearth bench mock-up to scale.

stove on concrete bench.png stove mock up.JPG