Raker Gauge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Johnson

Mod Emeritus
Nov 18, 2005
Central NYS
A few questions about depth gauges (rakers) and raker filing guides have come up recently. I thought I'd take a few pics of a raker gauge and how it's used. Here's what they look like--not much to it. Notice that different chain pitches (.325 or 3/8) take different raker guides. Also, note that there are two different options "Hard" and "Soft" which are short for "Hardwood" and "Softwood."

Attachments

• raker1.jpg
    raker1.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 521
The guide doesn't clamp to anything. It just sits on top of the back cutter and the raker pokes through the hole. You hold it in place with your fingers. If the raker is higher than the hole, file it down to where it's about the same height.

Attachments

• raker2.jpg
    raker2.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 530
Here's another view, showing the file.

Attachments

• raker3.jpg
    raker3.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 545
Hi Eric,

Looks good. Thanks for the update. I normally eyeball it but I have noticed a greater occurance of the chain binding in the cut. I must be taking too much off the raker and the tooth is trying to cut too large a chip.

Thanks

carpniels

I eyeball it, too, but it's a good idea to check it with the raker gauge every once in awhile. And yes, when it's binding in the cut, your rakers are too low. Usually if you just lay off filing them for a couple of sharpenings everything will be back where it should be.

Very nice Eric, thats the same kind of gauge MaLogger and I use.

Thanks. I picked that one up from John Adler about 10 years ago.

You take the gauge off to file then put it back to check right? Thats what I do.

Yes. They say you can file right over the top of the gauge, but I've never had much luck with that. To me that feels too much like abusing the tool, not to mention that I like to file with both hands, so I'd need to grow a third hand to hold the gauge. And I'm not willing to do that, either.

You can file right an top of the gauge if you have to only have to go one or two strokes. Usually craig and I file over the top.

Hi guys,

So what is the difference between the hard and soft setting of the raker? What does it do? Is it lower so each tooth takes more wood per cut? Or something else?

Thanks

CarpNiels

I think you file the rakers lower for hardwood, because it's harder, and not so low for softwood.

The hard side is 25 thousandths and the soft is 30 thousandths. I usually just use the hard side because I am usually cutting a mixed bag. If you were cutting only softwood you could go with the soft side!

I do file with the gauge in place, but for me it is a time thing. I think it is quicker to put the gauge on and file to it. I don't get paid to file my saws I only get paid to cut wood.

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.