Ram full of this find, please id...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reactions: ScotO and jackatc1
The Honeylocust we have around here is yellow inside, not that golden-brown color but the bark looks like it could be Honeylocust? Wow, tough one.....what kind of aroma does it have?

Well I have to clarify something, today I split some Honeylocust and it was more orange color with yellow " trim" inside, but it wasn't as brownish color as the picture. Interesting.....

I have around 9 cord of locust (at least HALF of that is honey locust), I've got some that has the salmon colored heartwood, and some with the orangish-brown heartwood. I can guarantee you that the wood in the first post is honey locust. Maybe a nursery-grown hybrid or strain, but it's honey locust. The annual rings, the bark, and the heartwood itself scream it.......

Definitely not any pignut I've seen, definitely not shagbark or mockernut either.....

Put me in the group with the honey locust crowd.

Reactions: nrford
My name is certainly not Sampson, it took me almost, almost 10 good wack with a maul to split in half, I'm sorry to say, but this is tough stuff.... image.jpg image.jpg

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Reactions: blujacket
notice the salmon-colored hue it's getting? Telltale of honey locust....

Too bad you couldn't score the whole tree!
It's salmon colored when split then pales out when split

Reactions: ScotO
If I CSS now, will it be ready or October ?

wait till you see how great that stuff burns in the fire. Long, hot burns.....pretty blue flames with orange tips...... And the deep red coals it produces. Nothing like locust, my favorite wood ever........
How long before I burn this beauty...?

Never seen honey locust that dark either. But that last set of pics and bark does scream Honey Locust. I've just started burning that stuff myself. As Scotty says its some excellent firewood. I'd definitly wait another year to burn it, otherwise your wasting a lot of good BTU's.

That is Honey Locust. Bark with big, tight flakes, not ridges like Pignut. Wide whitish sapwood. Orange heartwood. Nothing there that doesn't look right for Honey Locust. If it was growing in a yard it was probably the thornless type that somebody planted there.

What is the green stuff on the bark?

How long before I burn this beauty...?
I agree with Scotty. You'd be surprised how easy it is just to find wood on craigslist. During the warm months, free everywhere, but harder to find closer to fall. Even post an ad yourself in the wanted free section, and people WILL call you. Try calling your local tree service and ask them to drop off some in your driveway free, just put some plywood down to protect the asphalt. You want ash. Ash is the quickest wood to season when your in a bind, and css now if you can get your hands on some and stacked in a breezy sunny area will be primo wood by fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.