"Rapid Fire" Firestarters Video Review

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

isipwater

Feeling the Heat
Jun 6, 2013
Southeastn, AZ
Hi,

I recently tested out and made a video review about "Rapid Fire" firestarters made by CleanFlame.

Overall, this product produced excellent results and quickly got my woodstove blazing.

I know that there are many firestarter products out there but this one is unique because it is made from recycled cardboard that would otherwise end up in landfills.

Click on the link below to watch the short video review:

Here is an update on the pricing on the CleanFlame Rapid Fire firestarters.

You should be able to find a pack of ten for about $8.

I am not sure if they can be bought in bulk but I will look into this.

Nice video - a bit more close up after lighting to see how the thing actually burned (vs the "here is is lit, here is the fire fully engulfed" cuts) would have been nice to see though...

So 10 pack for $8 = 80c/fire eh? Seems a bit steep to me, but I'm sure others may find it acceptable. I think I'm running about 20c for each use of a super cedar (I only use 1/4 of one) - can the "Rapid Fire" be sub-divided into multiple parts to start more fires?

Nice video - a bit more close up after lighting to see how the thing actually burned (vs the "here is is lit, here is the fire fully engulfed" cuts) would have been nice to see though...

So 10 pack for $8 = 80c/fire eh? Seems a bit steep to me, but I'm sure others may find it acceptable. I think I'm running about 20c for each use of a super cedar (I only use 1/4 of one) - can the "Rapid Fire" be sub-divided into multiple parts to start more fires?
Thanks for the feedback on the video review.

As for the pricing, you are pointing out that your Super Cedars cost about 1/4th the price as the CleanFlame Rapid Fires. That is, of course, if you are breaking the SC's into 4 pieces. I don't think you can split the Rapid Fire's the same way.

I will check if there is any way to buy Rapid Fire's in larger packages to decrease the price per unit by volume.

Cardboard often ends up being shipped to China to be turned back into packaging for more stuff.

I make my own firestarters using free wax coated cardboard boxes that nursery plants are shipped to stores like Lowes and HD. When my wife worked at a Lowe's garden center she used bring home the broken down boxes and I have a large stash of them out in the shop. She said the waxed covered boxes couldn't be recycled and the store just tossed them out in the dumpster, so I assume anyone could pick them up for free if the store recently got a plant delivery that used them. I cut strips about 1" x 4" and strategically insert two or three between splits and kindling and usually get a good burn established on the first attempt. I cut my cardboard up in my shop using a band saw so I can four layers of cardboard at a time, but a utility knife or some heavy duty shears would also work, but be more effort.

Ah good point if they are using waxed cardboard.

I make my own firestarters using free wax coated cardboard boxes that nursery plants are shipped to stores like Lowes and HD. When my wife worked at a Lowe's garden center she used bring home the broken down boxes and I have a large stash of them out in the shop. She said the waxed covered boxes couldn't be recycled and the store just tossed them out in the dumpster, so I assume anyone could pick them up for free if the store recently got a plant delivery that used them. I cut strips about 1" x 4" and strategically insert two or three between splits and kindling and usually get a good burn established on the first attempt. I cut my cardboard up in my shop using a band saw so I can four layers of cardboard at a time, but a utility knife or some heavy duty shears would also work, but be more effort.
So you have been saving waxed cardboard from going into landfills just like CleanFlame; that is excellent!!!

CleanFlame's firestarters and logs are made from food-grade vegetable waxed boxes. I wonder if there is much of a difference in the type of waxed boxes you got from Lowes.

The boxes from Lowe's are dark brown heavy duty cardboard that makes a box about 2' x 2' x 2'. They break down to make a flat double thickness piece of waxed cardboard about 3' x 2' for transporting home. The strips I cut from them burn just like a candle when you light them. It probably takes about five minutes or so for each little strip to burn up if is just sitting out in the open. By tucking the 1"x 4" strips in between pieces of kindling and splits they burn long enough to get whatever is touching them to start burning, as well. When I cut them up I toss them into a 5 gallon bucket that I have a lid for and cut enough to fill the bucket. That quantity lasts me a good long time.

I buy one of those fireplace logs. Use an old chisel to knock off a golf ball sized chunk to start a fire. I leave the leftover in a ziplock bag so it doesn't dry out. One log gets me 40-50 fires. Each log is 2.99 ish so we are talking $0.06-0.09 per fire. If your care full you can find them on sale in the summer for $0.99 which makes the cost $0.02-0.03 perfire.

Reactions: isipwater
I buy one of those fireplace logs. Use an old chisel to knock off a golf ball sized chunk to start a fire. I leave the leftover in a ziplock bag so it doesn't dry out. One log gets me 40-50 fires. Each log is 2.99 ish so we are talking $0.06-0.09 per fire. If your care full you can find them on sale in the summer for $0.99 which makes the cost $0.02-0.03 perfire.

I picked uo a few Enviro Flame logs from lowes for 1.15 over the summer. They are compressed waxed cardboard. I just pull off a few small chunks and I can start logs no problem.

A friends daughter made me some fire starters at their girl scout meeting. A cardboard egg carton with the cavities stuffed with dryer lint then old candle wax poured over the lint to saturate it. Just tear off a cavity and light it between a few splits , works great . I give her a dollar / carton for her troops fund raiser.

The boxes from Lowe's are dark brown heavy duty cardboard that makes a box about 2' x 2' x 2'. They break down to make a flat double thickness piece of waxed cardboard about 3' x 2' for transporting home. The strips I cut from them burn just like a candle when you light them. It probably takes about five minutes or so for each little strip to burn up if is just sitting out in the open. By tucking the 1"x 4" strips in between pieces of kindling and splits they burn long enough to get whatever is touching them to start burning, as well. When I cut them up I toss them into a 5 gallon bucket that I have a lid for and cut enough to fill the bucket. That quantity lasts me a good long time.
Thanks for explaining the process. I will have to be on the look out for some wax boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.