"Rare" Jotul 606's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love the first one if I had a place for it.

Looks almost like a 118 with a heat box on top of it? Anyone have other info about these? If so, I have a 118 and it did a good job of sending off heat and burning wet wood, but burned quick. Was easy to keep going, but loading it constantly. Not sure how well it would be for one of us that are burning 24/7. My old 118 is now only using a few small splits to get the area warm if I need to work in it (I know, as again) opening windows and no gas in the garage. Its not used to storing my car (other than a Jeep that is off the road as it is being built).

I ended up with one several years ago but have not used it. All of the removable internal components were removed but I do have them, but dont have a manual or the motivation to reassemble.

I talked to a former Jotul employee once about the stove and why they only sold it in the US for a short time and he said that they had too many problems with people not running them correctly. Apparently they are designed to run flat out for maximum heat where the extra heat exchanger area ups the heat output. Unfortunately the air tight design encourages folks to bank it up at night and then turn down the air so it runs all night. This puts it into "smoulder" mode where the stove does incomplete combustion and the heat exchanger plugs up with creosote quickly. Operated in that manner, the stove and chimney may need cleaning on a monthly basis (which is not something many folks will do). The net result is Jotul pulled it from the US market.

I have run into a couple of folks over the years who run them correctly and they love them. The biggest issue is they have a real small firebox. They may also be a good spring and fall stove, for when you want heat but dont need too much.

Hmm, I looked at one of those about 4 years ago. Neither the seller or I knew what it was. The stove was a nice pale green that hadn't been used much. But the arch had lots of cresote in it.
Nice to know what it was now.

The high arched style was a popular way in Denmark of extracting more heat from the stove. Jotul, Lange and Morso all had variants on this design. The 606, is basically a model 602 with a large flue connected heatsink. They require burning hot fires and good cleaning of the flue passages. I almost ended up getting one for our house. Morso still sells the 2B classic.

Attachments

• 2b_stoveA.jpg
    2b_stoveA.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 842
Status
Not open for further replies.