Rare score for me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bushels20

Feeling the Heat
May 20, 2018
OH
Electric company was out trimming yesterday and on my way home found a pine that they had cut down. Knocked on the homeowners door and they gladly gave it away. I received the usual response around here which is “I wouldn’t be burnin’ that inside...” To which I simply replied “I’m not.” Ha!

Pine is voodoo wood to the uneducated in Ohio and I’m sure many other places.

Guessing this will amount to a little lace than a face cord. Will be burned in 2020-2021.

Attachments

• FFD26BA9-D750-4F6B-9FAB-CECCFA820A36.jpeg
    FFD26BA9-D750-4F6B-9FAB-CECCFA820A36.jpeg
    312.9 KB · Views: 415
Yes your house will definitely be cursed now with that pine you’ve introduced.

Around here, someone will pile up a pine tree next to the curb, in hopes that someone will pick it up. But nobody will.
Pine makes great kindling! Otherwise I don't burn it, no reason to, I just loaded up a truck load of locust onto the wood pile today.

Around here, someone will pile up a pine tree next to the curb, in hopes that someone will pick it up. But nobody will.
Pine makes great kindling! Otherwise I don't burn it, no reason to, I just loaded up a truck load of locust onto the wood pile today.

I won’t claim to be a geographer, but when you say “no reason to” what do you mean? We have a home on Emerald Isle and as far as I can see, it’s all pine and other soft woods. There is a species of oak that is small and not worth the effort. Is where you are from in NC more likely to have hardwood like locust? I’m not being condescending, simply asking a question. Not familiar with the state aside from the Far East side.

All of this said, I have (never) looked, cut, or even thought about getting wood down south. Just beer drinking and family.

Reminds me of something. As a child I looked up to my uncle "Roy"... He always heated his home with firewood and would take me along felling trees and hauling rounds. That is how I learned to cut firewood myself. While he was at work one day, his wife found a huge pile of pine already cut into rounds at the dump. She worked hard all day lifting and hauling it to the house. When he got home he asked where that pine came from. His wife told him she got it, and asked if he was proud of her. No! he replied, that stuff will clog my flue and burn the house down. I didn't know any better either at the time. Personally I don't see any reason not to burn it, but its imprinted into my brain that its bad and I shy away from it. The only thing I see wrong with pine is that its gopher wood. Load the stove and go for more... because it don't last very long. My favorite kindling tho!..

Reminds me of something. As a child I looked up to my uncle "Roy"... He always heated his home with firewood and would take me along felling trees and hauling rounds. That is how I learned to cut firewood myself. While he was at work one day, his wife found a huge pile of pine already cut into rounds at the dump. She worked hard all day lifting and hauling it to the house. When he got home he asked where that pine came from. His wife told him she got it, and asked if he was proud of her. No! he replied, that stuff will clog my flue and burn the house down. I didn't know any better either at the time. Personally I don't see any reason not to burn it, but its imprinted into my brain that its bad and I shy away from it. The only thing I see wrong with pine is that its gopher wood. Load the stove and go for more... because it don't last very long. My favorite kindling tho!..
I understand why you’d be cautious with getting those messages like that as a kid. If anecdotal evidence is helpful to you, I burn about a cord or so of pine a year in the stove for kindling and shoulder season. The buildup I get is dry, light and minimal, so a non-issue.

Reactions: ispinwool
I am in the North Carolina mountains. Yeah, just got a load of locust yesterday, this was a dead standing tree that fell across the driveway.

UKsmVn6m.jpg

And there are two more standing and leaning towards the driveway, I need to get them but the wood piles are all full.
I hope they will mind their own business until Christmas and then I can whack 'em and put them in the stack.

I moved up here 23 years ago and I had locust all over my place. I have 39 acres.
And then, about 1999, the locusts started to die off and they all died by about 2005.

I am not saying that pine will clog your flue, I lived near Spokane one year and the only wood they had to burn was pine.
But with ready access to oak, hickory and locust, I don't mess with the lower-grade pine, except for kindling.

There is lots of pine but no one cuts it for fire wood
I have never used pine and have no need of after all I live in the heart
of maple sugar country . Lots of hard maple red/white Oak and many
other hard woods Pine just falls by the way side unless the tree is good
enough for lumber