Rate my Creosote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Crewgirl96

Oct 14, 2020
KY
I just had my fireplace cleaned and inspected today. It's 7 years old. I was told I had level 3 creosote in my chimney and the entire chimney needed to be replaced for $4K. There is nothing towards the top he said, but it was towards the bottom near where the actual fire is. It's barely visible to me, but since he's a professional I'm trusting his recommendation. Wanted to reach out to others on here for a second opinion, and I will be hiring another company nearby to give me another estimate as well.
Appreciate any and all feedback!

Attachments

• IMG_9001.jpg
    IMG_9001.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_9002.jpg
    IMG_9002.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 287
  • Fireplace.PNG
    Fireplace.PNG
    592.1 KB · Views: 279
  • Fireplace2.PNG
    Fireplace2.PNG
    369.6 KB · Views: 267
  • fireplace3.PNG
    fireplace3.PNG
    401 KB · Views: 267
  • fireplace4.PNG
    fireplace4.PNG
    463 KB · Views: 249
I just had my fireplace cleaned and inspected today. It's 7 years old. I was told I had level 3 creosote in my chimney and the entire chimney needed to be replaced for $4K. There is nothing towards the top he said, but it was towards the bottom near where the actual fire is. It's barely visible to me, but since he's a professional I'm trusting his recommendation. Wanted to reach out to others on here for a second opinion, and I will be hiring another company nearby to give me another estimate as well.
Appreciate any and all feedback!
They are full of crap. I don't see that much buildup and even if there was tell them to do their job and clean it. Even if it requires chemicals you never have to replace an otherwise good chimney due to creosote

Thank you for your feedback. It's barely there, but to scare me into a $4k replacement job seems a bit much for a barely used 7 year old new home fireplace. I appreciate your time!

This is infuriating! I hate it when people try to rip people off. I agree with bholler--not much there.

Reactions: Highbeam
I’m having trouble seeing any stage 3. It actually looks pretty clean to me

I'm no expert and pretty new but that's nothing! I also had a 4K quote to reline. My home inspector told me chimney guys can sell fear in their sleep. But in no way does that mean dont take a responsible approach...maybe get a second quote.

I’m having trouble seeing any stage 3. It actually looks pretty clean to me
There may be a little glaze there it's hard to see. But not much if there is. And regardless it can be cleaned

I'm not one to go and slander someone's name online, but this is a case where I'd write a pretty harsh yet truthful review of this chimney sweep.

People like this in any industry give a bad rap to the rest.

Reactions: kborndale
Man, I just had my usual two guys come clean mine this morning. These guys were originally recommended by a local email list and they are the nicest guys to deal with. I always look forward to their cleaning every two years and I've used them for the past 8 years. And they told me today, "you're burning perfect, nothing but powder". I don't see anything bad there in your pictures. Is there another company you can try that has good recommendations?

I'd be burning with that flue. Make sure the wood is dry and start the day with a hot fire.

Reactions: SpaceBus
This is infuriating! I hate it when people try to rip people off. I agree with bholler--not much there.

As a father of daughters, and assuming female from the OP's username, I too am irritated. Let this be a lesson to all.

Reactions: marty319
Be willing to bet they aren’t bbb certified. You and your husband should waste as much of their time as possible. Have them come out and show you exactly what is bad. Then tell them to drop dead. And leave bad reviews.

Reactions: Ctwoodtick
Totally full of crap.

What a shame.

To my eye the pipe looks nearly brand new and is cleaner than most folks' chimneys. Do not use these guys ever again.

Reactions: beagler
I'm surprised they would even provide you with pictures of what seems to be a perfectly fine chimney after saying it's a total hazard and needs to be replaced. Idiots.

On the flip side the guy who installed my chimney went out to a buddy of mine's house a couple years back to sweep his chimney which was for an old Earth Stove that they burned a lot in and neglected to clean pretty much the entire time they lived there. The guy gets up on a ladder, taps the top of the chimney and tells my buddy it's in good shape and doesn't need to be cleaned because he didn't hear any creosote fall down the pipe. Charged him a service fee of $75. Didn't even look in the pipe, put a camera down to inspect or anything.