Rats?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In my case it was the only solution. I could not set enough traps.

Rats will relocate poison to where pets or kids can find it.

Ehouse

I broke the bars into quarters and clamped the quarters into a spring trap screwed to 8' long lumber that I inserted through a small hole in the lattice around my deck. Once the lumber was in, I closed off the hole. The chunks stayed in the trap as they were eaten. I like to think that I used the poison as safely and thoughtfully as possible.

I broke the bars into quarters and clamped the quarters into a spring trap screwed to 8' long lumber that I inserted through a small hole in the lattice around my deck. Once the lumber was in, I closed off the hole. The chunks stayed in the trap as they were eaten. I like to think that I used the poison as safely and thoughtfully as possible.

Sounds like you took the precautions necessary...If I had rats, My priority would be getting rid of them using any and all methods I could find (including poison)!

Wow!!!

sugar makers around here use raw instant potatoes but thats for mice swells there gut and die. maybe you could use more of them? damn mice are chewing everything i got outside. hve you seen the giant rat traps they sell? its a giant mouse trap i figure itll work use peanut butter with marshmellow or dorito works awesome

The giant rats traps are only truly effective if they are tied down to something sturdy.

Rats are pretty tough! That's not such a stretch. Or at least imagine a rat limping away with one of those giant traps on one leg. I once found only a tail in a mouse trap.

Reactions: Eatonpcat
Rats are pretty tough! That's not such a stretch. Or at least imagine a rat limping away with one of those giant traps on one leg. I once found only a tail in a mouse trap.

You need to use a combination of traps and devices. Snap traps, glue traps, bucket traps, Rat Zapper. move them around. When you think you've killed them all, it's time for the poison. Killed six more with the poison. Nasty, nasty business.

Ehouse

I found one in my eve space that had been pulled towards the main stack penetration.
Petrified rat snake attached
Decidied not to tell the GF about it

Reactions: semipro
I am getting a very bad picture in my head of Giant Rats walking around carrying Traps and snorting poison while looking at you and laughing!

Oh, so you've been to New York, then.

We had a lab that was the best rat catcher ever! Then we got this big Tom cat that would even bring home rabbits and game birds. Both are gone now. These new labs hunt, but don't have anything to show for it. I have caught mice by using a 5 gallon pail. Put a stick on it so the mice climb up, they jump Ito the pail for the bait, but can't jump out.
I wonder if you used a big barrel, put a few inches of water in it, then floated some bait on some styrofoam if rats would go for it. Being in water, they shouldn't be able to jump out. I got a skunk that way using a trash barrel.

Some ferrets make excellent mousers and ratters. Make good pets too if you don't mind the musky smell, which BTW is supposed to terrify rodents.

Ha Ha replace the rat problem with furry rats.

I guess trapping them is my best solution, anyone have luck with have a hearts and rats?... of course they would end up in a 5 gal bucket of water... but how do the traps work on rats?

Ha Ha replace the rat problem with furry rats.

I guess trapping them is my best solution, anyone have luck with have a hearts and rats?... of course they would end up in a 5 gal bucket of water... but how do the traps work on rats?
Why not use the snap traps? Havahearts are only useful if you really intend to release the varmint later.

If you have an established family of rats, you'll have a hard time keeping up with them with traps.

Seems people are worried about the poisoned rats becoming food for dogs and other desirable critters and not the actual poison being consumed by the desirables.

True. Many critters feed on rats, most importantly owls. Instead of poison I used Tomcat rat traps with good success. Early on I was catching one a night using peanut butter as bait. One warning, wire the trap to a screw or nearby post. I lost a couple traps when the rats ran off with them. After wiring it down I didn't lose any more.

http://www.tomcatbrand.com/rat_snap_trap.html

Skip to time 1:50 for the action.

Those are Jack Russell Terriers and having had many in my years of dog ownership, having 2 now still. They ARE great hunters! I have had to go out and break up a tug o war with a water rat! eWWw!

Status
Not open for further replies.