Manly Posted By Manly, Jan 12, 2018 at 10:24 AM

1. Manly

Manly
    Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 8, 2017
    Loc:
    CT
    I received a "drought insufficient" #13 alarm error code a couple of days ago. I have been cleaning the stove frequently, but apparently not deep enough. All the documentation I have on ravelli stoves does not specifically address this alarm error code. I would be grateful for any details regarding this particular alarm and cause. Jim

2. Pelleting In NJ

Pelleting In NJ
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Sep 26, 2011
    Loc:
    Central NJ
    Is your Francesca the newer RDS model?

3. Manly

Manly
    Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 8, 2017
    Loc:
    CT
    I purchased the stove new a few years ago but just installed last year. I am guessing the dealer had it a while as it was an older model close out. Documentation is sparse. It is not remote controllable and I don't think it has the RDS. It does have the multitude of adjustments and I do see there is a drought (draft) adjustment I recall making during the initial setup. I will try increasing the % of draft. My concern was that I have not had a problem up to this point this season. The stove and pipes were cleaned before this season and we have only burned about 2/3 ton thus far. I found it odd that the alarm is specific with a number assignment yet I cannot find a reference to this code in any literature. Lost in translation I suppose.

4. Pelleting In NJ

Pelleting In NJ
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Sep 26, 2011
    Loc:
    Central NJ
    Does your control panel have 3 buttons or 7?

5. Manly

Manly
    Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 8, 2017
    Loc:
    CT
    7 control buttons

6. Manly

Manly
    Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 8, 2017
    Loc:
    CT
    Increasing the draught setting made no difference. The stove goes into alarm shortly after the full startup cycle. The flame, burn pot and everything looks great, same as it always has. I suspect a sensor or alike is malfunctioning. Time to disconnect and open her up. Thankfully it's not frigid like last week.

7. Pelleting In NJ

Pelleting In NJ
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Sep 26, 2011
    Loc:
    Central NJ
    From what I know, 7 button is the older non-RDS model.....and my technical manual for non-RDS stoves does not have an error code #13...odd......because in the RDS Manual there is an Alarm Code #13 : "Insufficient Draft Alarm" which can be caused by an open firebox door (or a bad door gasket), or a clogged burn pot, or clogged exhaust passages (in the stove) or restricted flue.

Sounds like you have an RDS stove, despite the type of control panel you have, and the internal stove exhaust passages, or your flue, needs a good cleaning. Do you have an outside air connected? If so, also check that for any obstruction.

Another possibility is that your airflow sensor (located in the outside air intake pipe) needs cleaning, or is on its way out....

Can you post a picture of your control/LCD panel?

8. Manly

Manly
    Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 8, 2017
    Loc:
    CT
    Anyone have any detailed information on the logic sequence for the start and run cycle for the ravelli Francesca. I get a draught insufficient alarm after the stove goes through the complete start cycle and appears to be running great. The alarm comes in at the exact same time on each run. It did initially start alarming intermittently but quickly got to this point. I completely cleaned the stove, ports and pipes even though it eas pretty clean. Checked the vacuum switch and it seems fine, as well as the tube. I would think if the vacuum switch wasn't sensing flow I would never get to a full run cycle. Door gaskets look fine. I am at a lose. This stove has been performing nicely up to this onset. Thanks for any suggestions or input.

9. Manly

Manly
    Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 8, 2017
    Loc:
    CT
    Pic attached I think. I have cleaned everything. Did determine the stove is shutting down due to the vacuum switch contact not opening. When I removed the switch it seems to operate properly with very minimal suction needed to operate the switch. I was surprised the unit would cycle all the way to a full run without the switch opening. If the switch is disconnected electrically it will not feed. Needs a closure to start and an open circuit to maintain a run. I guess I am going to have to remove the pipe and adapter to see why I am not getting suction through the tube. I can blow through it easily but that only verifies the plastic tube. I am leaning towards exhaust passages at this point. My schematic does not show air flow sensor, only the vacuum, smoke and temp sensors. image.jpg

10. Manly

Manly
    Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 8, 2017
    Loc:
    CT
    At a loss here. Disassembled the stove for a deep cleaning. Removed the exhaust fan, opened the clean out ports upper and lower. Vacuumed everything out although I was surprised how little soot was actually inside. This stove has had about 1 ton through it since new. The flue pipe and cap are clear and clean. The vacuum tube seems unobstructed but the vacuum switch doesn't activate. When I removed the switch it will transfer the contacts with the minimalist amount of suction. The electrical contacts do switch open as verified by meter. When I jumper the vacuum switch wires to run the stove and the tube attached to the switch, the switch never transfers as verified by meter. This still seems to be a lack of vacuum (draft) issue but I can't quite see how. I hate to buy a new switch if not needed. Any suggestions appreciated.

11. Pelleting In NJ

Pelleting In NJ
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Sep 26, 2011
    Loc:
    Central NJ
    Did you try cleaning out the metal nipple (on the exhaust fan housing) where the vacuum tube connects to? Did you clean out the inside of the exhaust fan housing (remove the fan motor by removing the 5 or 6 philips head screws around the smaller metal motor mounting plate).

12. Monica in France

Monica in France
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 22, 2014
    Loc:
    France
    If my Ravelli Stove had RDS , I'm pretty sure I would have got a similar message recently.
    It was clogging up every 24 hours , this was after a 'deep' clean. But obviously not 'deep' enough.
    Your stove looks very similar to mine , and I wonder if it has the same weak spot somewhere up in the heat exchanger at the top.
    It was only after the umpteenth clean around those tubes that it suddenly started to function correctly- as you can't see what you are doing - I have no idea what I finally did to remove the blockage.

If you are sure that every thing is clean , I would suggest you follow " Pelleting in NJ" s suggestion and look at the M.A.F sensor
    There was an interesting thread on the subject last November (? +/-) .
    They need cleaning as well apparently. A fact which is far from obvious.

Has anyone found the ideal tool for cleaning around those heat exchanger tubes ?

13. Manly

Manly
    Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 8, 2017
    Loc:
    CT
    I did clean the nipple with a pipe cleaner. Today I removed and brushed all the exhaust pipes, cleaned the internal exhaust again as well as blew it out with a leaf blower. Exhaust fan motor was removed yesterday and cleaned. My unit has wing nutted screws around the perimeter to remove the entire plate. After all this the vacuum switch still would not switch. I purchased a new switch, hooked it up to the tube for testing, and it did transfer the contacts once the fan ran a short bit. I put the entire unit back together, checked my settings and fired her up. Shortly there after I got a depress alarm #8. I am guessing this came as the vacuum switch opened. I know it's not a blocked flu, the vacuum switch is new, and I am waiting for the unit to finish final cleaning to check the door switch, which I highly doubt. This is starting to become a pain. I wish I could get a hold of a wiring and logic diagram that actually shows the sequence of operations, permissive, etc. I purchased the vacuum switch from the very unrepeatable dealer where I purchased the stove, and all their service people would do is agree with me that they supplied lousy documentation. They said the problem could be almost anything. I would trash the stove before I threw away money on their incompetence. But that is a different issue. I did find out the stove was build in 2012. I purchased it new at the end of 2014. The dealer said it is definitely not RDS, but when i power up the stove the screen says ECO RDS. There is nothing consisten on the stove. Thanks for all the input from the board users here and I will keep on plugging away.

14. Manly

Manly
    Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 8, 2017
    Loc:
    CT
    The door limit switch seems fine. It operates properly and if I leave the door open the auger will not start, so I'm guessing it is ok. One thing that baffles me is wiring on the vacuum switch. The circuit is wired through a normally closed contact, or so I believe it was when I removed it. This completes the circuit and allows the unit to go through the start cycle. As soon as the vacuum pressure is met, the contact opens, and this is when I am getting the depress alarm #8. Again with the limited diagram I have I don't see any other devices in this circuit to chase after.

15. Manly

Manly
    Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 8, 2017
    Loc:
    CT
    Where is the M.A.F sensor located? My diagram doesn't identify it. Thanks

16. Ssyko

Ssyko
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 6, 2017
    Loc:
    Lorraine NY
    Just out of curiosity, does your vac switch have 2 nipples? If its a dual nipple 1 side is used for pressure the second side is used for vacuum. I dont know the stove well at all but if the hose is on the wrong side it wont trigger the auger. And normally a vac switch is open. After stove starts and combustion blower starts it creates the vacuum in the chamber wich closes the circuit for the auger. The start up program controls the stove till all the components have met their respective requirements. Then the stove goes into user mode where you can control voltages and feed rates.

17. rich2500

rich2500
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 19, 2005
    Loc:
    Berks County PA.
    It,s located on the intake air inlet several inches in from the end that you would hook up the metal pipe to go outside

18. Manly

Manly
    Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 8, 2017
    Loc:
    CT
    I do have a dual function vac switch. It is connected to the vacuum side and I have verified it is functioning at this time. The contact sequence you describe makes more sense to me than using the closed contact I am presently connected to. I thought that was how the old switch was connected but I may be mistaken. It's too late tonight but tomorrow evening l will swap onto the open contact and give it a try. I was thinking this was going to be my next move anyway. Than thank you for your support.