Ravelli Roma Burning through Burn Pots

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

harinlee79

Jan 29, 2022
New Hampshire
First time poster here. We got a Ravelli Roma insert 3 years ago. Unfortunately our burn pot keeps cracking. The first one lasted 1.5 years (9 months of use). We bought another one that lasted 3 months (should this have been covered under warranty?). The next 2 only lasted 2 months. The dealer came and changed the settings on our stove to no avail. The pellets we use (Northern Warmth) don't leave a sticky residue or much ash and we vacuum the burn pot and clear out the holes every day. Has anyone else experienced this same issue?

YES ! I have the same problem. I replaced my cracked burn pot in September. I've gone through a little over 2 tons of La Crete pellets and it's already cracked. I have my stove set at power #3 so I'm not overheating the unit at all. I think the pots are just cheaply made. I'm going to call the dealer and see if there's any kind of warranty on a cracked pot that didn't even last the whole heating season. I'd hate to have to replace these at $90 a pop every year !

Keep me posted! My dealer came out and looked at the settings again, they were fine. They basically told us we are using it too much and too high power. Since then, we use it 8-10 hours a day with a break mid-day and at power 3 or lower, but the new one is already starting to show thinning in the spot it usually cracks after 5 weeks. We too are at a little over 2 tons for the season. They also said they talked to the manufacturer and they blamed the pellets we use in the US...I use northern warmth, it's a soft wood. Instead of paying $180 for them to keep looking at it, I'm going to stockpile on burn pots. It's so unfortunate because the stove itself is great.

Keep me posted! My dealer came out and looked at the settings again, they were fine. They basically told us we are using it too much and too high power. Since then, we use it 8-10 hours a day with a break mid-day and at power 3 or lower, but the new one is already starting to show thinning in the spot it usually cracks after 5 weeks. We too are at a little over 2 tons for the season. They also said they talked to the manufacturer and they blamed the pellets we use in the US...I use northern warmth, it's a soft wood. Instead of paying $180 for them to keep looking at it, I'm going to stockpile on burn pots. It's so unfortunate because the stove itself is great.
Sorry, but after reading this, and the dealer told you you were using it too much and too high power, the manufacturer disclaimer should be: " For occasional use only ".. Sounds like they are trying to deflect blame on the users and not admit that there may be a manufacturing or design problem.. Is there any way a tool and die shop or weld shop can reinforce that burn pot ?

Sorry, but after reading this, and the dealer told you you were using it too much and too high power, the manufacturer disclaimer should be: " For occasional use only ".. Sounds like they are trying to deflect blame on the users and not admit that there may be a manufacturing or design problem.. Is there any way a tool and die shop or weld shop can reinforce that burn pot ?

Agreed. "Using it too much" is a cop out and BS excuse. I just had a new Ravelli RV80 installed the first week of February so we'll see how it goes with burn pots. I generally use it in the Eco Stop mode and fan/pellet feed set on 2 unless it's very cold out because the other mode just keeps it too warm in the house, no matter how low I set the room temperature on the stove. My home is small so the Ravelli carries the majority of the heating load. I try to avoid the propane furnace kicking on unless absolutely necessary.
It's been suggested by forum member Mt Bob that maybe I should keep a spare on hand. That's a good suggestion and I will most likely do that. But if it fails within the warranty period I'll still report it to the dealer to see what happens.
My initial thought is that these things fail because they're cast iron. Maybe cast doesn't stand up to the heating/cooling cycles for the long term. The Avalon Newport that I used for nearly 14 years was just starting to have a spot or two burn through between the holes at the bottom of the burn pot. That burn pot was welded steel plate, not cast iron. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my theory for now unless someone who has long term cast iron burn pot experience tells me differently.

Agreed. "Using it too much" is a cop out and BS excuse. I just had a new Ravelli RV80 installed the first week of February so we'll see how it goes with burn pots. I generally use it in the Eco Stop mode and fan/pellet feed set on 2 unless it's very cold out because the other mode just keeps it too warm in the house, no matter how low I set the room temperature on the stove. My home is small so the Ravelli carries the majority of the heating load. I try to avoid the propane furnace kicking on unless absolutely necessary.
It's been suggested by forum member Mt Bob that maybe I should keep a spare on hand. That's a good suggestion and I will most likely do that. But if it fails within the warranty period I'll still report it to the dealer to see what happens.
My initial thought is that these things fail because they're cast iron. Maybe cast doesn't stand up to the heating/cooling cycles for the long term. The Avalon Newport that I used for nearly 14 years was just starting to have a spot or two burn through between the holes at the bottom of the burn pot. That burn pot was welded steel plate, not cast iron. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my theory for now unless someone who has long term cast iron burn pot experience tells me differently.
My experience with the Ravelli Francesca cast burn pot is 3 seasons of moderate use and significant cracking. My Castle Serenity using a sheet steel burn pot is two seasons in showing no sign of deterioration.

I agree it is a cop out excuse and there should be limitation of use in the manual. They told me my stove should never be used on level 5 and I should not be using it as my primary heat. I never would have gotten this stove had I known I can't use it for extended periods. My first burn pot failed after I had the stove for 5 month, but the dealer made me pay $100 for it. I didn't know this should be covered under the warranty. At this point, the only thing I can do is to budget for 2 new pots per season.

I agree it is a cop out excuse and there should be limitation of use in the manual. They told me my stove should never be used on level 5 and I should not be using it as my primary heat. I never would have gotten this stove had I known I can't use it for extended periods. My first burn pot failed after I had the stove for 5 month, but the dealer made me pay $100 for it. I didn't know this should be covered under the warranty. At this point, the only thing I can do is to budget for 2 new pots per season.

That's unfortunate. My setup guy told me that most of their Ravelli RV80 buyers run them on 3. I've found that I don't need it to be more than 2. But that's going to vary from house to house depending on the size of the area to be heated, how weather tight the structure is, etc.
Heating season will soon be over fortunately. But for peace of mind I'll purchase another burn pot to have on hand for next season just in case.

Oh,some stoves with cast burn pots ,the pots last years,even decades, like Austroflamm and Quadrafire.
I don't think it is a cast/metal quality issue,it is just considered a consumable part, just ended up that way, by the stoves design. the holes are very close, so less support, more expansion. Probably why they are cheap to replace. Figure 100 bucks over here translates to probably about 50-60 bucks overseas. Might check on that later.
Also, I'm sure many don't know, but there is a drop in repair section for the pot.Have never seen or used one, but I think it is not meant to be welded in, but just dropped in, which would mean the need for a cold pot,and a bit extra time to clean it. But, if it's winter, could be handy to have. Perhaps one of you can get one, then report about it,when you need to use it,next winter,or so? Will leave link. Great day,all.

I bookmarked the link and may just do as you suggest. From that same website it looks like currently a Ravelli burn pot is $99.99 and Pellethead is $89.99.
Always good to price shop,for anything. Also depends on who has it in stock,and how bad you need a part.

Always good to price shop,for anything. Also depends on who has it in stock,and how bad you need a part.

I just started poking around, doing just that. Turns out Amazon is $10 more for the Pellethead pot than Earth Sense. But Amazon has free shipping and Earth Sense's lowest option is $13+.
Currently the insert replacement you linked is out of stock. Lots of time to sort this out before next fall.

I totally agree! I am not sure if they can, I'll look into it. When I bought it, they knew it was going to be used as primary heat which is why we went for such a high powered one. I would not have gotten it had I known it wasn't meant to be used all day and at it's higher settings.

My second burn pot just burned out. It only lasted 9 months. I wasn't going to keep buying those at $100 a year. Probably more now. It's definitely a design error. Enough with this nonsense. I went into the basement and welded one up out of mild steel I bought at Home Depot for $30. I've had it in the stove for two weeks now and is burning just fine. Kinda makes me want to start making them in my retirement. I just want to make sure it lasts before I recommend it.

Burn Pot.jpg

Reactions: ABusWrench
Watch the burn pots from Pelethead some of them are just plain garbage... Different stove but first year i had it ordered a SS pot from pellet head it cracked before the season was over and they refused to warranty it. I used it for another couple of seasons and then ordered another one.. This one was much better quality of SS and the welds were much better and been using it the whole season with not issues..