RE: Adding a damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
It doesn't happen often -- maybe 3-5 times a year -- but once in a while my stove starts getting hotter and hotter and the only way I can slow it down is to fully or partially block the secondary air hole with tin foil. It's not a big deal for me when I'm home, but I've been thinking that adding a damper a) might be easier for my wife and b) I might be able to get longer burns.

Not sure how I can easily do this though. Set up is as follows: Adapter to double wall pipe and then out through the wall thimble. I've seen that ICC sells a damper for double wall pipe, but it appears to me that this would give me another 6 inch rise in the stove pipe . . . which would not work.

I'm guessing there is a very simple answer here . . . telescoping pipe? flue sold at a different length? a method to install the damper in the existing double wall pipe?

Attachments

• Stove.JPG
    Stove.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
For double-wall connector usually one has to add a factory damper pre-installed in a 6" section of connector. You have it correct Jake. In this case it would mean replacing the current vertical pipe with on that is 6" shorter or with a telescoping section.

Hi Jake, I didn't bother giving any updates on my secondary air control but it really does work very well on those occasions when I need a little more control and it allows me to fine tune what is going on in the firebox. It isn't difficult to make and might be a good option for you if the damper isn't possible.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/homemade-seconary-air-controll-for-oslo.120676/#post-1617197

I remember when you posted this . . . but I pretty much had forgotten all about it until you put up this link. I may try experimenting with this first . . . especially since it seems like this may be just the thing for me to try on those infrequent times I need to dial down things down a bit. Thank you for posting this . . . much appreciated.

For double-wall connector usually one has to add a factory damper pre-installed in a 6" section of connector. You have it correct Jake. In this case it would mean replacing the current vertical pipe with on that is 6" shorter or with a telescoping section.

Thank you for the confirmation . . . just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something.

I remember when you posted this . . . but I pretty much had forgotten all about it until you put up this link. I may try experimenting with this first . . . especially since it seems like this may be just the thing for me to try on those infrequent times I need to dial down things down a bit. Thank you for posting this . . . much appreciated.
No problem, I hope it works out for you, If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. The only thing I would do a little different now is I'd make the tabs that I bent around the air intake to connect it a little more substantial. Make them a little wider and a little longer and add a few more.

Status
Not open for further replies.