RE: All wheel drive question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the short throw on my WRX. The only time I tried the regular shifter was when I test drove a different WRX. Short throw made shifting nice & crisp.

You must be getting antsy! ;)

Tick tock tick tock!

Andrew

You know it ... I've been reading a lot ... probably too much since I start reading about various issues and then start second guessing myself ... but you know how internet sites "amplify" the issues so what may only occur in a few cars suddenly seems like it is a major issue.

I've also started on my wish list ... winter tires will be high on that list. I'm waffling on the mud flaps.

Nope. No matter how you cut it, cars are always cheaper than girlfriends. And they come with an Operating Manual !
I understand it's much cheaper and easier to move on to something new, when the bearings start squealing;)

You know it ... I've been reading a lot ... probably too much since I start reading about various issues and then start second guessing myself ... but you know how internet sites "amplify" the issues so what may only occur in a few cars suddenly seems like it is a major issue.

I've also started on my wish list ... winter tires will be high on that list. I'm waffling on the mud flaps.
Just remember this: you have a full warranty. Don't fret.

I try not to read too much on the internet about things like this...why? because happy people don't take the time to post happy comments...they are too busy driving around all the time enjoying their new cars...lol. The frustrated people post like mad when their cars are in for repairs as they have nothing better to do. ;) Human nature is to complain but not to be happy. It takes 10 times more energy to be pissed off than it does to smile.

That's my Gandhi saying for the day. lol

Andrew

PS. Mud flaps are nice...avoids chipping the under side of the car. And a quick suggestion since your car is new, get a lifetime warranty oil/under carriage treatment...it'll cost about $300. I did it with my 2005 impreza and still have NO rust underneath whatsoever.

Currently I am leaning towards mud flaps . . . just don't like most of them that stick way, way out rally car style . . . that and the two makes I've seen are quite expensive -- Rally Armor and RokBloxz.

You're disappointing me SwedishChef . . . figured you would be asking by now. ;)

Picked up my new Subaru WRX yesterday . . . ordered mid-March, actually was ready for pick up on Wednesday.

First impressions from driving it home and then to work today . . . wow-zers . . . I'm loving turbo! Gobs of power from a mere 4 cylinder. Was pretty happy with my Accord's pick up and go . . . this one is on a whole new plain. Kinda weird to have a four door sedan -- my past few cars were always coupes.

Radio and speakers . . . meh . . . OK . . . at first I thought they were horrible . . . turned out it was set to the factory settings. Sounded worse than the speakers in my 1981 Chevy Malibu.

Arm rest extension . . . I need one . . . existing arm rest is way, way too low to be at all useful. I loved my sliding arm rest from the Accord and now I'm not quite sure where to put my right arm when I'm not shifting.

Thinking about trying to tone down the "chrome" bling on this car by removing some of the nameplates (i.e. "Subaru", "WRX" "AWD", etc.).

congrats! good luck with it!

Too many bling mobiles nowadays

Congrats on your new Rex!

Yes, the armrest extension is a good thing to have.

My factory audio system (despite the 6CD changer stereo) was a bit sucky. Adding the factory subwoofer (which mounts under your seat) really improved the sound quality. You can get Subie factory parts from a number of online merchants, and save $$$ in the process.

If you change your own oil, don't forget to pick up a dozen or so crush washers (for the oil pan drain plug). OEM oil filters are available by the box of a dozen on eBay, and they sometimes come with the washers.

Yes, the turbo is FUN. Gas mileage will vary tremendously, depending on how much of a leadfoot you are. With my 2003 WRX, mileage dropped for the first 3 months as the engine got broken in, then it rose up.

Have fun with your new car.

Congrats Jake! I was actually waiting to hear some sort of YAHOOO from your direction :)

It is an impressive car that can haul. I am glad you like it...

Subaru are not known for nice stereos or fancy insides.....not yet anyways. Maybe in 5 years. lol

Andrew

He's a sports sedan driver now. This ain't no Corolla. Two hands on the wheel, 9- and 3-o'clock!

Exactly. If he doesn't need both hands he is not even close to using that cars capability.

Once the engine is nicely broken in, I think you'll find yourself thoroughly enjoying 2nd/3rd gears, especially in twisty-turny roads. My 2003 WRX 5 speed transmission would go up to 60MPH in 2nd gear. Lotsa torque, nice throttle response if you kept it above 3000 RPM.

Congrats !!

If you change your own oil, don't forget to pick up a dozen or so crush washers (for the oil pan drain plug)
I stopped using those and use a magnetic after-market one now (that would capture any metal shavings in the oil).
OEM oil filters are available by the box of a dozen on eBay, and they sometimes come with the washers.
Folks on the legacygt.com forum (the best for Subaru, I think) say the newer blue OEM filters are no better than the name brands (at least the better ones), and that the old black ones were the schizzle. I dunno. I do know that the black ones are like $100+ for 9 of them when I checked (your comment got me all excited). I have a few blackies left, not sure what I'll do after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.