RE: Has anyone else noticed . . .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
. . . hearth.com seems to be much quieter than normal for this time of year.

Yesterday I was busy so I didn't really get a chance to log on. Typically this means the next day I have pages and pages to go through (since I am a hearth.com addict.) These days . . . there most definitely doesn't seem to be as many new threads.

Guessing it may be due to both the warmer weather this Fall and perhaps the low oil prices?

yes, i noticed that myself as well, gonna have to go with the warmer weather theory as well, almost 60F here and its not even noon yet, windows and doors open in the middle of december, gotta love it ::-)

There are a couple other sites that have grown if you need more for your fix.

Yeah, that stinks. Who's got time to mess with all these different forums? ;hm

I contribute a lot of it to lower oil prices. Could be the new format is hard to adapt too, as well.

last year at this time ( and in November ) I was burning 24 / 7. Stacks took an unplanned hit. Where I was a year ahead (all I have room for, or can manage by myself ), I had a 2 cords left, after tapping into the "almost seasoned" stash :mad:

I'm also planning on resurrecting the oil burner after the holidays, and get the 550 gallon tank as full as I can. Set the T stats at 62 F, and let the oil burner handle the HW, as well ( has coil). At this point, turning off the electric HWH is a win / win for me.

Sitting here at 5:30 PM EST, and windows are open. I'll take it ;)

Probably because everyone's outside adding to their stacks rather than inside bored and feeding stoves. I know myself I've rebuilt my chainsaw and c/s/s 2 cords and cleaned furnace and stove pipe this weekend, amongst other things. Now I can relax on hearth an watch football Tommorow, no more chores to do.

Yup, we need someone to post some really juicy creosote pix so we can all join in. ;)::P

Yup, we need someone to post some really juicy creosote pix so we can all join in. ;)::P

I'm not due for a self imposed stove cleaning until the 15th....maybe I'll start a dirty window thread.:eek: And yes, the forum is pretty quiet.

Agreed it stinks. I've hardly gotten to use the stove. It's been out for atleast a week now. May see lower temps by mid week.

Bumming big time! I finally got a seasons worth of dry wood and I cannot even think about lighting the stove ::-). I dream about winter like some folks dream about summer and to not have one is such a let down. It was 74 today - i had shorts/t-short/sandals on all day as I farted around in the garden wondering if i should try to get in another tomato crop! I still have peppers growing. I picked all of the fruits about a month ago when we we had a light frost, but low and behold the plants put out more flowers and new little peppers are starting to grow. I also saw a butterfly this morning and a garter snake later in the day! Feels more like April than December. I am praying for an arctic clipper!

I find the "new" look hard and 'unpleasing' to read...so I think I've cut back visiting / posting. Instead of 'curling up with a good book', it's more like trying to read the insignia and info on the top of a 100 watt light bulb... I'll do it, but not 'fun'. Not that I'm a 'major' player by any means but get a few hundred people cutting back by a few posts a day and it may add up.

A couple of forums I used to frequent had such bad 'new' versions, I pretty much gave up on them. I sort of like hearth...guess that is why I still hang around after 10 years.

Such as? (not that I won't be scrolling Hearth multiple times a day or anything)

Y
I find the "new" look hard and 'unpleasing' to read...so I think I've cut back visiting / posting. Instead of 'curling up with a good book', it's more like trying to read the insignia and info on the top of a 100 watt light bulb... I'll do it, but not 'fun'. Not that I'm a 'major' player by any means but get a few hundred people cutting back by a few posts a day and it may add up.

A couple of forums I used to frequent had such bad 'new' versions, I pretty much gave up on them. I sort of like hearth...guess that is why I still hang around after 10 years.
You can change back to the old style it's at the bottom

. . . hearth.com seems to be much quieter than normal for this time of year.

Yesterday I was busy so I didn't really get a chance to log on. Typically this means the next day I have pages and pages to go through (since I am a hearth.com addict.) These days . . . there most definitely doesn't seem to be as many new threads.

Guessing it may be due to both the warmer weather this Fall and perhaps the low oil prices?
For myself, it's partly the ridiculously warm fall, especially after last winter's horrible marathon, plus the low oil prices. I decided actually to take advantage of the low price to give my aging bones a break from wrangling wood this year. I have a small supply still for weekend evenings by the stove-- but it's been too warm to justify it or get a good fire going!

I also think the new format for those of us who've been around a while, it's the new format. There's nothing wrong with it, per se, but it just doesn't look like "home." It's as if your spouse got a face transplant.

Reactions: Dix
It was 60 today and I'm still burning one small load a day. 40s overnight and the house will cool down if I don't. I'm taking advantage of the weather to beef up my insulation, build a storage box for scrap wood, as well as some other projects.

Beauty of the BK is that I run a half load damped all the way down and it lasts overnight, then I will have the windows open tomorrow for fresh air.

We've had the electric baseboard heat on all weekend. Not even cool enough to do one burn to take the chill off. I admit I'm getting a little lazy.

At the bottom it says hearth.com if u click it, it gives your the option of old hearth. Which is the old style

Thank you :)

Ya I had to go back
To just what I'm used to I guess lol

Thanks jb6!
Now I'm off to create a fake profile and warn everyone about burning pine. THAT will liven things up :)

No excuse not to get the stove glass nice and sparkling:cool:

Started up the stove yesterday and it has been going since. It's not cold, but nighttime temps will soon be in the 30s again. Looks like some cooler weather will be traveling east soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.