RE: Heading to The Last Frontier in a few days

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
As of next Monday I'll be heading to Alaska for a few days . . . not that anyone will especially miss me, but just wanted to let folks know in case they were wondering why I wasn't posting anything.

And to make this thread wood-related . . . I already promised my sister I would help her husband bring down a birch tree leaning towards their house.

I will miss you Jake....
Have a safe trip...don't forget the pics dammit! downloadfile-2.gif

Any fishing in the plans?? I would love to go up there when it is not skeeter season and waste away a few weeks of fishing.

dont worry about being absent from Hearth.com....if yo find so interesting info, or have something to say, write a note, tie it to a carabou, point it sorta south-east-ish and give it a good smack on the behind.....I'm sure one of us will get it. Be safety!!

North--to Alaska!
...and beyond?
Oh well, have a good trip. Make sure to have some salmon. And take photos.

They have internet in Alaska????

*waits for a trouncing from Snow* :p

Have fun, Jake !!

I am so jealous, please post pics and give a full report. I dream of moving north, but I'm afraid Alaska would be too intense!

Pics . . . most definitely. Been there twice before and have taken pics . . . but even then it's hard for a photo to capture all of the beauty of the place.

Fishing . . . I don't really care for fishing or fish . . . which is probably a real shame since I've seen the size of the fish there . . . heck, I saw a stream with all kinds of salmon that were spawing and it made me want to fish (although my sister said those fish were no good and they had a better spot to fish at . . . my sister still swears though that she can make several fish dishes that would convert me . . . said one type of salmon tastes like "candy."

Caribou Express . . . probably will not happen . . . my sister and her husband would end up shooting and carving up the caribou before he got ten feet away as almost all of their meat is game meat and fish.

Last frontier = Alaska . . . Final frontier = space. Shatner is still OK, despite the Priceline ads.

Internet . . . It's there, but where they are in Wasilla they do not have it other than on their smart phones. I only have a dumb phone.

Hoping to maybe meet some of the Hearth.com folks . . . I would need addresses or contact numbers though since randomly driving around looking for BogyDave's woodshed might take a while.

Reactions: tfdchief
Last frontier = Alaska . . . Final frontier = space
Seward's Ice Box. Telling on my age.

"And to make this thread wood-related . . . I already promised my sister I would help her husband bring down a birch tree leaning towards their house."
Really nice of you to help with the house demo.;lol What a good brother.
Be safe and have a great time.

"symbonymical"
AP, you gotta' quit using those dang technical terms. Gets me all confuzzled.:confused:

Pics . . . most definitely. Been there twice before and have taken pics . . . but even then it's hard for a photo to capture all of the beauty of the place.

Fishing . . . I don't really care for fishing or fish . . . which is probably a real shame since I've seen the size of the fish there . . . heck, I saw a stream with all kinds of salmon that were spawing and it made me want to fish (although my sister said those fish were no good and they had a better spot to fish at . . . my sister still swears though that she can make several fish dishes that would convert me . . . said one type of salmon tastes like "candy."

Caribou Express . . . probably will not happen . . . my sister and her husband would end up shooting and carving up the caribou before he got ten feet away as almost all of their meat is game meat and fish.

Last frontier = Alaska . . . Final frontier = space. Shatner is still OK, despite the Priceline ads.

Internet . . . It's there, but where they are in Wasilla they do not have it other than on their smart phones. I only have a dumb phone.

Hoping to maybe meet some of the Hearth.com folks . . . I would need addresses or contact numbers though since randomly driving around looking for BogyDave's woodshed might take a while.
Yeah, but if you got close it would be easy to spot.;ex

I'm back . . . pics to follow at some point.

I lucked out with mostly good weather -- a couple days that were partly rainy. Never made it to Palmer . . . so I never did do that search for BogeyDave's woodshed . . . and here I thought for sure in Wasilla that I would be able to see all the way to his woodshed . . . I mean I could see Russia from Wasilla so I figured the woodshed would be easy peasy to spot.

Welcome home!!
Pictures!!

Jake, it appears both you and I took some time to go roaming. I'd still like to visit Alaska one more time but not sure if we will or not.

Actually I'm just a bit off the Parks Hwy , few miles south of Wasilla. I saw you drive by .
I waved, & you didn't even notice. I had the case of canned smoked salmon ready for you.
So I went golfing. :) Then ate the salmon. :p

Hard to see the shed now & the 4 months we have leaves on the trees.
You got to see the Mts in my pictures first hand. Lots better in person eh?
Glad it was a good trip & the mosquitoes didn't carry you off. :)

Actually I'm just a bit off the Parks Hwy , few miles south of Wasilla. I saw you drive by .
I waved, & you didn't even notice. I had the case of canned smoked salmon ready for you.
So I went golfing. :) Then ate the salmon. :p

Hard to see the shed now & the 4 months we have leaves on the trees.
You got to see the Mts in my pictures first hand. Lots better in person eh?
Glad it was a good trip & the mosquitoes didn't carry you off. :)

Sister is right off the Parks Highway too . . . closer to Big Lake though . . . technically in Meadow Lakes which I understand to be a part of Wasilla. I have to admit I get a kick out of seeing the homes . . . for a place that gets legendary snowfall I found it surprising to see so many roofs with such low pitch roofs with regular asphalt shingles.

Sorry I missed you . . . I think I was focused on getting a bunch of geocaches and was too busy trying to pass all the RVs and tour buses. ;)

Yeah . . . the views there never grow old. I told my sister that despite having been there twice before the mountain views and in particular the views down Seward Highway along the Arm still blow me away -- really every one should take a ride down that road at least once in their life. My sister responded by saying that even after close to ten years of living there she still finds the mountains to be incredibly beautiful and counts herself fortunate by being able to live in Alaska.

Great trip . . . will post pics soon . . . and yeah . . . the skeeters were pretty bad. I think I've used bug dope two or three times here all year here in Maine since I consider myself pretty hardy . . . I ended up using bog dope there five or six times in just one week as they were pretty thick.

Status
Not open for further replies.