RE: My woodshed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice shed!
Is it partially under trees, and is that where the wood seasons?
I've gotta come up with some kind of more organized plan for myself and an out of the way spot is under trees, is why I'm asking.

real nice handywork. Great looking shed.
Another vote for a recliner and a cooler!

TreePapa said:
That's awful nice. Nice lumber from a "camp," too. Is it true that what Mainers call a "camp" most of us would call a cabin?

Peace,
- Sequoia

Sorry . . . I always forget that we sometimes talk a bit funny than the rest of the country (i.e. sideboard = kitchen counter, door yard = driveway, camp = cabin, ayuh = yes.)

So yes, the "camp" is a "cabin" built by my Uncle close to 50 years ago for a guy that used to work for my grandfather . . . the camp was eventually moved right next to (well actually in) a small graveyard . . . I lived in the camp for a few years after college and it has been rented out over the years, but it had reached the point where parts of it were beginning to rot . . . and I have always wanted to restore the cemetery (a family graveyard) to the way it should be (i.e. minus a camp, cut bushes and trees, etc.) so this provided a good reason to tear down the place.

Edthedawg said:
firefighterjake said:
You better believe I've already been thinking ahead . . . Step 1 is to purchase a Magic Heater so I can burn unseasoned wood and get the most heat out of the chimney as possible. ;) :)
LMAO! Dude - last i checked, yer gonna need about 4700 MORE creo-chimni-EPA-pollution-ithinx posts to be allowed to make such statements. ;)

All kidding aside . . . back row is some wood that I had cut up last year, but didn't get around to splitting late this Spring . . . it's going in the back to get a little more seasoning time. The rest of the wood will be going north to south as Savage guessed so I can access different rows depending on what I need (i.e. softwood slabs, really well seasoned hardwood, etc.)
Sounds like an excellent plan. What's the total capacity of this monster gonna be??

According to the math it should hold a little over 8 cords (figuring 11 x 19 x 5 as a practical used space when you factor in the walls) . . . but the truth is that would be if everything is packed tightly with no space between the rows so in reality I figure I'll get 6-7 cords in there with no issues.

I definitely like this shed- mine is real real small, but I still have problems with animals getting in between the spaces in the wood and making homes. What do you guys do regarding animals in your wood sheds?

jlow said:
Nice workmanship. I like the rustic look that the wood grain gives. Nice to reclaim wood and still get a great look. I'm jealous!!!

I agree . . . I really did like the rustic look with the old boards . . . plus they serve a useful purpose in blocking snow and rain . . . both from the wood and from the "bones" of the structure . . . I figure it will be far easier to replace a rotten board than it will be to replace a rotten 2 x 4.

Ratman said:
Jake, top notch pro job.
Now sell the wood, hire some bands and have a weekend festival in that thing.
The thing is gynormous

Funny you say that . . . when I finished the shed up my wife looked at it and said when her brother comes up from CT he will probably think it would better be used to house one of his many snowmobiles currently parked at my house. At this point, we (he and I) will most likely be adding a lean to on the side or back to house his sleds . . . although those "bays" are the perfect size for housing a sled.

prairiefire said:
nice work!! looks awesome and will look even better when all that wood is stacked inside!

Nah, this is my "first burn" woodpile . . . I'm burning this wood first before restacking it in the shed. Right now I'm working on stacking 4-5 cords inside the shed first . . . and then depending on where I am in terms of time I may restack this pile . . . or I may just be lazy and tarp this stack.

velvetfoot said:
Very nice shed!
Is it partially under trees, and is that where the wood seasons?
I've gotta come up with some kind of more organized plan for myself and an out of the way spot is under trees, is why I'm asking.

I've seasoned this year's wood in a field and out back in front of the shed where it actually gets quite a bit of light. I'm thinking I might be able to season wood in this shed too though based on the position of the sun in relation to the shed and more importantly the fact that I get plenty of wind.

rsgBJJfighter said:
I definitely like this shed- mine is real real small, but I still have problems with animals getting in between the spaces in the wood and making homes. What do you guys do regarding animals in your wood sheds?

Answer: I have four cats who have plenty of time on their paws. ;)

Are they strictly outdoor cats? Or are they indoor/outdoor. Sorry for all the questions- The long and the short of it, I've never been a cat guy, but it seems like a good investment if I can figure a way to keep one safe and outside.

rsgBJJfighter said:
Are they strictly outdoor cats? Or are they indoor/outdoor. Sorry for all the questions- The long and the short of it, I've never been a cat guy, but it seems like a good investment if I can figure a way to keep one safe and outside.

All are indoor/outdoor . . . but the one I have with spina bifida mostly stays inside and one is getting a little touched in the head (much like me) so he doesn't really pull his weight in terms of catching stuff. The other Manx that I own and the "newest" addition found abandoned by my wife are very good mousers . . . and chipmunkers . . . birders . . . and well just about anything that they think they can catch . . . one even tries to catch gray squirrels even though they are pretty close to her own weight.

I always get a kick out of folks who say they're not "cat people" -- in my experience it's often a case of simply getting the right cat with the right personality. For example, my youngest Manx seems to think he is a person . . . actually hangs out with me in the bathroom when I shower, my wife caught him once sitting (not begging) at the kitchen table sitting on a chair and around a campfire he usually prefers to hang out in a camp chair.

Here's a pic of Theodore Roosevelt . . . I gave him this chair after it developed a tear in it . . . lettered it up for him . . . figure he's kind of like a star actor anyways . . . all the neighbors know him . . . he has more of a social life than I do . . . one neighbor said he is the official neighborhood ambassador.

Attachments

• Teddychair.jpg
    Teddychair.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 280
Status
Not open for further replies.