RE: Rennai tankless high efficiency water heater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
Thinking of taking the plunge and going with a tankless Rennai water heater . . . would the extra cost justify the price and switch over from a conventional propane-fired water heater? Pros? Cons?

Thinking of taking the plunge and going with a tankless Rennai water heater . . . would the extra cost justify the price and switch over from a conventional propane-fired water heater? Pros? Cons?

How much do you plan to save each month by making the switch? I'm going to guess this is a propane fired tankless? Are your lines capable of providing the btu needed for the new unit?

Tankless units have a reputation for poor performance at low flows. I'd also be wary if you have hard water.

Have you considered a condensing tank type gas unit? They're know for efficiency and are direct vented so CO can't escape into the house.

i have an electric one, and wish I had gone gas.... i do like it for the most part. i don't really have an issue with the low flow, but i have noticed its a bit low in pressure when running multiple appliances.

Tankless units have a reputation for poor performance at low flows. I'd also be wary if you have hard water.

Have you considered a condensing tank type gas unit? They're know for efficiency and are direct vented so CO can't escape into the house.

Talk to me more about condensing tank gas water heaters. This is the first I am hearing about this. My current heater is a propane-fired free unit installed when I switched from heating with oil (using my oil boiler) . . . needless to say it is not very efficient and every time I hear it firing up in middle of the day or night when I am not using or needing hot water I kinda of recoil just a little bit at the waste.

Talk to me more about condensing tank gas water heaters. This is the first I am hearing about this. My current heater is a propane-fired free unit installed when I switched from heating with oil (using my oil boiler) . . . needless to say it is not very efficient and every time I hear it firing up in middle of the day or night when I am not using or needing hot water I kinda of recoil just a little bit at the waste.
Condensing gas units extract so much heat from the exhaust stream that PVC can be used as the exhaust pipe. They also typically use outside air for combustion just as many new gas furnaces.
If the location is right you could also consider an electric heat pump WH but I assumed you wanted to go with gas.
There is a pretty good article on this here: https://www.familyhandyman.com/plumbing/water-heater/choosing-a-new-water-heater/view-all