RE: Which option to choose with splitter repair?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Looks like it. That is just an image I grabbed off the net. Same splitter as mine but newer and updated. Also has better hose routing than mine.

Been a while since I looked. Was around $2k. Canadiabucks.
Figured that was the case. Keep in mind we've been debating other splitters < $1000. If you double the budget, all sorts of improvements can be made on the design.

Update: On Saturday I stopped by another local shop and ordered a new 27 ton Power Pro (Oregon) splitter. The owner said he was pretty sure it came with a log table and a four way head which is actually pretty exciting to me as I was hoping at the very least to just get a log table.

Later that day I re-assembled the non-functioning ram back on to the old splitter, hooked everything up, cleaned up the splitter debris and then posted an ad on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist.

I had a feeling it would sell pretty easily . . . but I had no idea of just how easy it would be to sell. I decided to ask $300 originally and could go to $250. My wife and I have done OK in life and folks have helped us out along the way so our philosophy has never been that we need to get the absolute best price when selling. I also factored in the price of a new ram at $337 and figured that for $600-$650 a used, 9 year old splitter is a fair deal -- especially when looking at ads on line where folks were asking $800-$1400 for used splitters of the same type (MTD, Cub Cadet and Troy Bilt) and rusty, home-built splitters had a price tag of $350-$450.

As usual I did get a couple of "Will you take a trade?" queries . . . I rarely do trades, but sometimes ask just to see what ridiculous item they think might entice me . . . I did not do so this time.

I also got the usual "What is the absolute lowest you will take despite the fact I have not seen this in person" questions with offers of $100-$200.

However, most of the folks responding simply wanted to know about the issue with the ram and seemed decent enough.

One of the first guys to answer was local so I offered him first dibs. However, when he showed up driving a 1990s vintage Chevy Malibu or similar sedan I kinda figured he would not be buying. First words out of his mouth were "I don't have the money since I'm on low income and I'm what you would call a tire kicker." He liked the splitter and said to give him a call if it didn't sell as he would try to get the money together in a week. I told him that I literally had a page and a half of names -- something like 28 or 29 names of other interested buyers so I doubted I would still have it by week's end.

I then went back and sent out replies to other folks who were within 30 or 40 minutes of my home, figuring they would be more likely to make the trek vs. someone living 2 hours away.

A guy from a few towns over responded right away that he would be right over . . . and true to his word he was. He looked it over, I fired up the engine, he took a closer look at the ram and said he would purchase it. No dickering at all. When I mentioned the no dickering, he said he knew it was a decent deal and I no doubt had plenty of other folks who would be interested . . . all in all . . . a pretty easy sale.

As I told him . . . whenever I've sold used stuff on line I consider it a good deal when both the buyer and seller figure they got a good deal.

I would be surprised if that’s the case. Huskee was just TSC’s made up brand name for the splitters they were buying from Speeco, at that time, as I understood it.
Yeah my Forest King Pro 37 ton splitter made by YTL International Inc. (not he other Forest King splitter I had pictured below) has a H on the back of the stop also. And it has nothing to do with Huskee.

Last edited:
Good you got s new splitter, when I put my nearly new 22 ton splitter on CL for $500 I had a lot of responses in the first two hours it was listed and the guy who called first came and got it but he did ask if I’d take less but I said no- that I had a bunch of others willing to come and get it too. I think some just have to ask. I put a hour meter in it and it only had 35 hours in it so I think I sold it for a fair price.
B64A8583-15F0-48E3-9008-43F74FB6C9D9.jpeg

Yeah my Forest King splitter made by YTL International Inc. has a H on the back of the stop also. And it has nothing to do with Huskee.
As well as a bunch of others by YTL. It's funny how a Chevy used to be a Chevy, with a following and brand loyalty. Now dicy at best, or nothing at all.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191102-071946~2.png
    Screenshot_20191102-071946~2.png
    369.4 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Update: So last weekend I ran the new Power Pro splitter for maybe 7 or 8 hours.

Overall I like it. It "sits" higher so I find I am not stooped over as much . . . of course it also means I have to lift the bucked wood a bit higher as well.

I haven't tried going vertical yet (with apologies to Backwoods Savage) . . . but that will happen soon as I have some large pine to split up at some point this Fall.

I do have two minor complaints.

1) The Honda engine sometimes "bogs" down when the ram is retracting and before it fully retracts I grab the valve control and go forward as I am ready to split the next piece. It doesn't always happen, but happens quite often as it will bog down slightly (as if shifting into a lower gear so to speak) before ramping back up again. Not sure if this is an issue or just the nature of this particular beast.

2) The wedge runs along channels set along the beam . . . and at the end of the beam sits the flat. The splitter does have two ovals for splitter debris to fall through which works OK most of the time . . . unless I am working with a wood like pine which tends to have a lot of the bark fall off in which case it builds up.

Again, minor complaints.

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy
Update: So last weekend I ran the new Power Pro splitter for maybe 7 or 8 hours.

Overall I like it. It "sits" higher so I find I am not stooped over as much . . . of course it also means I have to lift the bucked wood a bit higher as well.

I haven't tried going vertical yet (with apologies to Backwoods Savage) . . . but that will happen soon as I have some large pine to split up at some point this Fall.

I do have two minor complaints.

1) The Honda engine sometimes "bogs" down when the ram is retracting and before it fully retracts I grab the valve control and go forward as I am ready to split the next piece. It doesn't always happen, but happens quite often as it will bog down slightly (as if shifting into a lower gear so to speak) before ramping back up again. Not sure if this is an issue or just the nature of this particular beast.

2) The wedge runs along channels set along the beam . . . and at the end of the beam sits the flat. The splitter does have two ovals for splitter debris to fall through which works OK most of the time . . . unless I am working with a wood like pine which tends to have a lot of the bark fall off in which case it builds up.

Again, minor complaints.
My splitter has the same channels and oval holes at the end of the beam from the sounds of it and I’m often quickly throwing out the bigger pieces of bark and splinters out of the end and brushing out the fingers stuff down the holes with my gloved left hand. There gets to be a good sized pile of stuff underneath those holes after some time. The corners of the back plate get jammed up,with wood after some time and I was goi g to clean them out with a big flat blade screwdriver a week ago I couldn’t get the stuff to budge it was in there so tight. No big deal it doesn’t hurt anything I guess. I’d have to loosen it with a drill if I wanted to get it out. I never run my splitter in vertical position. If I get a round too heavy for me I use the skid splitter or have someone help me hoist the heavy round up onto the splitter.

If your engine bogs while the ram is retracting, make sure there is no binding with the wedge. My splitter started doing the same thing last year. I removed the wedge and discovered a piece of wood had become wedged under the plate that caused resistance. Just a thought.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
If your engine bogs while the ram is retracting, make sure there is no binding with the wedge. My splitter started doing the same thing last year. I removed the wedge and discovered a piece of wood had become wedged under the plate that caused resistance. Just a thought.

It occasionally bogs down when I go from retracting to moving forward . . . no issues with it bogging down while retracting.

Reactions: FuzzyOne