Ready For Another Season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Much easier to turn the pellet stove on than to start a fire.. I think I am going to like this pellet thing.

my better half is whiney already too. He wants to run the stove every night so we don't have to cap the vent again until heating season. sure honey, you buy the pellets.

I refuse to turn on the heat yet at least until mid to end of october.

Glad to see the activity again in the forum.Great time of year.Took my window shaker out
today no more need for that. Looks like 39 tonight

I can do the whole place on pellets. 1664 square feet. Pellet insert in a center chimney cape. There no "far ends" to this house.

Forced air oil furnace is set to 58 degrees as a backup in case the pellet stove fails.

Hot water is oil, but the burner is pretty efficient. Although if oil keeps going up electric hot water may look quite attractive.

I agree, but from what i have read it is a cheap part for my stove. I guess as you get older you start to value your time a little more.

Well I'm older and when your igniter goes you will discover that it takes time and an aid to light the stove manually and it takes time (and sometimes being a contortionist) to replace the igniter.

My stove usually only gets shut down once a week. I usually run on hi/low for the season.

Snip ...
Hot water is oil, but the burner is pretty efficient. Although if oil keeps going up electric hot water may look quite attractive.

I keep looking at that and so far it is a no go and from what I'm seeing there is a very good possibility that the electric bill is going to skyrocket shortly as well.

I refuse to turn on the heat yet at least until mid to end of october.

Wow..... Its gonna be 38° (possibly colder) tonight. Our Quad has ran several times now. Just lit the first Wood Fire of the season.... Its easier to burn pellets. But easier on my pocket to burn wood ;)

Once the kindling burns down, I have 8 good splits of Cherry to load it up with. . . .

Gotta love Fire :mad:

Quadfirstfire.jpg 2012-09-23_19-37-56_220.jpg

Wow..... Its gonna be 38° (possibly colder) tonight. Our Quad has ran several times now. Just lit the first Wood Fire of the season.... Its easier to burn pellets. But easier on my pocket to burn wood ;)

Once the kindling burns down, I have 8 good splits of Cherry to load it up with. . . .

Gotta love Fire :mad:

Too early and with all of that kindling you shouldn't need to load anything else in the stove until January 1, 2013.

Reactions: DexterDay
I can do the whole place on pellets. 1664 square feet. Pellet insert in a center chimney cape. There no "far ends" to this house.

Forced air oil furnace is set to 58 degrees as a backup in case the pellet stove fails.

Pending on what you are paying for oil and how efficient your system is.. it might already be worth putting an electric hot water heater in. I have direct hot water off of a hot start boiler...burn 20 to 25 gallons for dhw a month. My wife and I ,with kids at 10,7 and 2.. not exactly tons of hot water being used. It is a wash right now to go to electric. Thinking about doing it just to tell the oil guy to shove off...

I don't mind sharing. just sayn...

==c What a pal!

Now if dex can box up some of that heat and send it my way? I won't have to start my stove for another month! >>

Mrs. is now in sweats, It could be any day for me. I got me a helmet this year, Hope it ease's the pain some! Holden out as long as I can. ;em

my stoves ready to go also,took it outside this weekend and blew it out with the leafblower,repainted the outside,installed new conbustion blower,new convection blower,2 new auger motors(from CSH,see how they hold up)two new auger bearings and replaced the burnpot gasket.

my stoves ready to go also,took it outside this weekend and blew it out with the leafblower,repainted the outside,installed new conbustion blower,new convection blower,2 new auger motors(from CSH,see how they hold up)two new auger bearings and replaced the burnpot gasket.
Rich, Sounds like you've been overhauled, haha

Status
Not open for further replies.