real thinking about taking out my drolet heatmax

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bedrock your thinking all wrong you live in Canada where this stove is made, yet no one knows how to tune this stove so it will operate properly. You need to figure out how to do so and then start your own business. "Bedrocks Drolet Tundra tuner extrordinare" charge like 100 per hour for Wood Furnace Tuning. I don't own one but others on this site claim they work well so I'd say it can be done.

Attachments

• IMG_20150219_074033305.jpg
    IMG_20150219_074033305.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_20150219_074053464.jpg
    IMG_20150219_074053464.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_20150219_245527336.jpg
    IMG_20150219_245527336.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_20150219_245834687.jpg
    IMG_20150219_245834687.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_20150219_074231754.jpg
    IMG_20150219_074231754.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 314
Bedrock your thinking all wrong you live in Canada where this stove is made, yet no one knows how to tune this stove so it will operate properly. You need to figure out how to do so and then start your own business. "Bedrocks Drolet Tundra tuner extrordinare" charge like 100 per hour for Wood Furnace Tuning. I don't own one but others on this site claim they work well so I'd say it can be done.
Yeah that's what I should do lol.

It's hard for me to identify from the pictures, but I'd also look again into your ductwork. Not only does it look like your hot supplies might be inadequate, but even if they are ok, best I can tell it looks like you have a single, long, 8" round cold air return duct? If so, that's also very inadequate.

I agree with a previous suggestion that you might want to have a reputable HVAC guy come take a look. Even if he doesn't know about wood furnaces, just tell him 900 cfm and that should be enough for him to tell you how to change to ductwork to not be the problem.

Last edited:
For example, it sounds like the 8" outlet ducts are unbalanced; one has 2 runs and the other has 4. It would be an improvement, (but not quite a total solution), to dump both 8" outlets into a small box, then take more runs off of there. At least the airflow through the furnace will be balanced and you'll pick up a lot more heat that way.

For example, it sounds like the 8" outlet ducts are unbalanced; one has 2 runs and the other has 4. It would be an improvement, (but not quite a total solution), to dump both 8" outlets into a small box, then take more runs off of there. At least the airflow through the furnace will be balanced and you'll pick up a lot more heat that way.
I had trouble trying to get one 8" to the end of my house that's why I have 4 coming off that one I have a split level it was hard to do

It's hard for me to identify from the pictures, but I'd also look again into your ductwork. Not only does it look like your hot supplies might be inadequate, but even if they are ok, best I can tell it looks like you have a single, long, 8" round cold air return duct? If so, that's also very inadequate.
Yeah, with that long of a run I'd say they need to be upsized...and probably insulated too, there's a lot of heat and velocity lost on a run that long...

Last edited:
Can you try unhooking the ducting from the top all together & see how much heat it puts out then? As a test. Finding it hard to get the whole picture of what you've got going on there.

...or unhook the 8" 'uprights' from the trunks, leaving only stubs/stacks.

Kinda hesitant in saying that as I'm not sure what all you have going on there (supply and return), and wouldn't want to get into some kind of safety issue. All kinds of potential for things/details to get lost in internet translations...

IMG_20150219_114923950.jpg more pictures of the furnace set up the 8 " on the left is running to the end of my house the other on the right is my cold air return. The other 8" coming from my furnace is t off one going to my kitchen and one to my living room

Attachments

• IMG_20150219_114828412.jpg
    IMG_20150219_114828412.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 247
...or unhook the 8" 'uprights' from the trunks, leaving only stubs/stacks.

Kinda hesitant in saying that as I'm not sure what all you have going on there (supply and return), and wouldn't want to get into some kind of safety issue. All kinds of potential for things/details to get lost in internet translations...
Hi what is going on is the furnace isn't heating the house . I'm get the btus but not heating the house

Hi what is going on is the furnace isn't heating the house . I'm get the btus but not heating the house

If you're getting the BTUs, there must be places in the house that are hotter than others? The heat has to be going somewhere?

If you're getting the BTUs, there must be places in the house that are hotter than others? The heat has to be going somewhere?
That what im to figure out. I was talking to SBI about the set up they said i have to much static pressure on the duct that is only one going to the living room and the kitchen because its the closes ones to the furnace is that the trouble

If there is too much pressure in one duct, that would mean not enough heat would go there & too much would go to the others - so are some places/rooms in the house hotter than others?

If there is too much static pressure in all the ducts, then heat isn't getting out of the furnace which would show up in the furnace/surface of the furnace getting/staying too hot. Then also if the return is too restrictive that would also limit air flow through the furnace. Some simple temp measuring all over should be able to find out where the problem(s) is(are) - along with some manometer work. But temps everywhere (including the flue) would certainly help for starters. Did the new switch change anything? Need to verify it's doing its thing when its supposed to also. Think you're close to being on your own - as said only so much that can be done through a computer screen.

(Did we cover possible wet wood in past threads/posts? Getting kind of scattered here...)

(Did we cover possible wet wood in past threads/posts? Getting kind of scattered here...)
Yeah, it'd be nice to keep this all info in one place since you are still dealing with the same issue. If you PM one of the mods I think they could move/combine/link this with your original thread bedrock1.

Also, just FYI, that flex pipe you used on some of your bends has really crappy flow characteristics for this application, that definitely is not helping matters here...

That what im to figure out. I was talking to SBI about the set up they said i have to much static pressure on the duct that is only one going to the living room and the kitchen because its the closes ones to the furnace is that the trouble
That's why I suggested to install dampers in each run and/or adjustable/close-able louver register covers so as to be able to balance things as needed. Too much SP means the ducts are too small/too many bends/too long (also flex pipe) as I said in my last post. Installing a smooth running heating system is more complicated than it looks, huh?!

If there is too much pressure in one duct, that would mean not enough heat would go there & too much would go to the others - so are some places/rooms in the house hotter than others?

If there is too much static pressure in all the ducts, then heat isn't getting out of the furnace which would show up in the furnace/surface of the furnace getting/staying too hot. Then also if the return is too restrictive that would also limit air flow through the furnace. Some simple temp measuring all over should be able to find out where the problem(s) is(are) - along with some manometer work. But temps everywhere (including the flue) would certainly help for starters. Did the new switch change anything? Need to verify it's doing its thing when its supposed to also. Think you're close to being on your own - as said only so much that can be done through a computer screen.

No SBI sent me the same thermodisc that my furnace come with, to top it off they were going to send me the kit to relocate the thermodisc on top of the furnace they don't have all the parts till 3 weeks time ,I ask if thay could take a part off other furnace no.

Yeah, it'd be nice to keep this all info in one place since you are still dealing with the same issue. If you PM one of the mods I think they could move/combine/link this with your original thread bedrock1.

Also, just FYI, that flex pipe you used on some of your bends has really crappy flow characteristics for this application, that definitely is not helping matters here...

That's why I suggested to install dampers in each run and/or adjustable/close-able louver register covers so as to be able to balance things as needed. Too much SP means the ducts are too small/too many bends/too long (also flex pipe) as I said in my last post. Installing a smooth running heating system is more complicated than it looks, huh?!
How can I do that pm u a mods

How can I do that pm u a mods
Go to the Hearth.com forum page, top left, right after "home", the list of staff that is online now is shown on the right, click on one of them, and then click on "start a conversation" once their profile comes up

Just a thought, because I hopped on this thread and immediately thought "I'LL BUY IT!" (before I realized you lived in Canada) Did you try contacting Drolet directly? I emailed them on an inquiry, and they got back with me quick. So far customer service seems top notch. Nobody knows their products like they do. I know Yukon for example, gives AMAZING customer service.

If your unit is in the basement, I HIGHLY encourage you to install a fresh air intake. If not mentioned yet, I will be willing to bet a cord of seasoned oak that is your problem.

All right Bedrock I will try to sumarise how I think this stove should run by the reading I have done on it.
A. You get a good fire going by leaving damper open or combustion blower on a half hr or so.
B. You then shut it down by closing damper etc. It should then kinda go out in bottom level but the secondarys should be firing from the wood outgassing.
C. It should then be left alone for say 8 hrs while it continues to put out some heat meaning the distribution blower should continue to run.
Im not mentioning how much or how little the heat is cause thats secondary to me. If your stove doesn't run like this its either the stove or the wood in my book. Most are saying that wood cut split and stacked 2-3 yrs. work best in this furnace.
If you like most wood burners can't get 2-3 years ahead in wood you prob would be better of with a stove like a Daka or Englander they can burn less seasoned wood with no prob you just let them get a little more airflow. I have a old Foxfire add-on furnace I bought in 1987 when I bought my house. I have many many times went out and cut some standing dead timber and went straight from the back of the truck into the basement and burned with no prob. other than it burned hot and fast. (I had to leave the bottom ash pan door slightly open for extra air flow) Not the best I know but it seemed like a lot of extra work to stack on wood pile and then stack wood from other end of pile unto truck to put in the basement.
Kind of shame if you have to sell this stove but if your not happy your not happy life is to short to be spent in a state of unhappyness IMO.
Good luck!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.