Rear Exhaust vs Top Exhaust on Dauntless Flexburn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WeavingRoots

Oct 29, 2022
Central New York
Hi everyone. I am hoping to get a little insight on whether anyone has a rear exhaust on their wood stove and the pros and cons to it. We have a Vermont Castings Dauntless that has the option for either top or rear exhaust. (it is not installed yet and we are installing from scratch so we have the choice now) We are thinking it would be much easier to install it as a rear exhaust but we are wondering how the clean out and chimney cleaning goes on a rear exhausted stove. Any thoughts?

Hi everyone. I am hoping to get a little insight on whether anyone has a rear exhaust on their wood stove and the pros and cons to it. We have a Vermont Castings Dauntless that has the option for either top or rear exhaust. (it is not installed yet and we are installing from scratch so we have the choice now) We are thinking it would be much easier to install it as a rear exhaust but we are wondering how the clean out and chimney cleaning goes on a rear exhausted stove. Any thoughts?
Hello, I have a Dauntless that is setup with the rear exhaust. Had to do it that way because I have it setup as a hearth stove with the flue liner up the chimney. It has a T which makes it very easy to clean the flue liner as long as you can access the back of the stove to remove the bottom cap of the T. Here's a video that might give you a better idea of what it would look like...

Can you provide details of the installation and what the options are? Describe the proposed (or existing) flue system. Will the stove be freestanding against a wall, corner install, fireplace or alcove install?

Can you provide details of the installation and what the options are? Describe the proposed (or existing) flue system. Will the stove be freestanding against a wall, corner install, fireplace or alcove install?
The stove has not been installed yet. We are trying to figure out the best way to do that before we drill the hole in the logs (we live in a log cabin). It will be free standing in the middle of the room backed up as close to the wall as the regulations will allow. We like the rear exhaust system b/c it will be a LOT easier to install and will take much less work and parts. Not to mention, it will only take one elbow instead of two. This makes me think that we will be able to get better draft as there will only be one elbow? 🤔 Due to the nature of the stove, I am not concerned with losing BTU's from not having a pipe in the house. The stove is brand new.

The stove has not been installed yet. We are trying to figure out the best way to do that before we drill the hole in the logs (we live in a log cabin). It will be free standing in the middle of the room backed up as close to the wall as the regulations will allow. We like the rear exhaust system b/c it will be a LOT easier to install and will take much less work and parts. Not to mention, it will only take one elbow instead of two. This makes me think that we will be able to get better draft as there will only be one elbow? 🤔 Due to the nature of the stove, I am not concerned with losing BTU's from not having a pipe in the house. The stove is brand new.
How are you only going to have one elbow? Once you elbow, you must elbow again to go vertical.
It SOUNDS like you want to elbow inside and just exit immediately outside on a horizontal plane close to the outside wall of the house without elbowing again and going vertical above the roof. That's not going to work, at all.

How are you only going to have one elbow? Once you elbow, you must elbow again to go vertical.
It SOUNDS like you want to elbow inside and just exit immediately outside on a horizontal plane close to the outside wall of the house without elbowing again and going vertical above the roof. That's not going to work, at all.
The stove has a rear exhaust. So we go straight out from the back of the stove, through the wall to the outside. Then there is an elbow to turn 90 degrees to go straight up outside the house. Why wouldn't that work?

The stove has a rear exhaust. So we go straight out from the back of the stove, through the wall to the outside. Then there is an elbow to turn 90 degrees to go straight up outside the house. Why wouldn't that work?
The problem with going straight out the back of the stove is you will never be able to replace the stove with anything else. The best solution honestly is top vent and go straight up through the roof. Oh and you won't be using a 90 outside they aren't even available in chimney pipe. You would use a tee