Rear vent option - Vermont Castings Encore or Jotul F 500 V3 Oslo?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

meepmao3912

Hi all!

Below is my fireplace with an 11.5 inch lintel, located in the centerish of my 2 story home (around 3k sq ft). Because of this lintel limitation I only have a few options of rear venting wood stoves and 1 or 2 wood burning insets on the market. I ordered a VC Encore about 8 weeks ago and was just told today that it will be another 8-10 weeks. I called a local vendor and they have a few Jotul F 500 V3 CF with short legs available, ready to ship this week.

My question to you, the Hearth.com community...is the Jotul worth an additional $1,500+ over the Vermont Castings Encore? $4430 vs. $2899.

Fireplace.jpg

Hi all!

Below is my fireplace with an 11.5 inch lintel, located in the centerish of my 2 story home (around 3k sq ft). Because of this lintel limitation I only have a few options of rear venting wood stoves and 1 or 2 wood burning insets on the market. I ordered a VC Encore about 8 weeks ago and was just told today that it will be another 8-10 weeks. I called a local vendor and they have a few Jotul F 500 V3 CF with short legs available, ready to ship this week.

My question to you, the Hearth.com community...is the Jotul worth an additional $1,500+ over the Vermont Castings Encore? $4430 vs. $2899.

View attachment 281763
It is a new model with an unproven design so honestly we have no idea at all. Why not just an insert?

I have to say, at this juncture, none of the above. The new F500v3 has had some birthing pains that we await resolution. The first season for some users was not too good for some owners. I can appreciate the desire for a good looking stove at this point, but I would go for something else if available. Reliability is important. Have you looked at the PE Alderlea T5 insert? That is a simpler design with a good track record. In hybrids, the Hampton HI500 is worth looking at.

A top vented insert may work. Take a look at the ones suggested. The T5 insert is about 21" tall and about 18" deep, so the depth at 21" is what is important. If it is close, some of the rear top brick can be carved out for the fit. The Hampton HI500 is about 23.5" tall and about 19" deep, so the depth at that point is what's important.

Is the tax credit important?

I have to say, at this juncture, none of the above. The new F500v3 has had some birthing pains that we await resolution. The first season for some users was not too good for some owners. I can appreciate the desire for a good looking stove at this point, but I would go for something else if available. Reliability is important. Have you looked at the PE Alderlea T5 insert? That is a simpler design with a good track record. In hybrids, the Hampton HI500 is worth looking at.
Thank you for this. Do you know if these are rear venting options?
Inserts don't rear vent they sit in the fireplace and top vent
I should have been more clear here. An insert with a top vent that is at least 12" back from the faceplate.

A top vented insert may work. Take a look at the ones suggested. The T5 insert is about 21" tall and about 18" deep, so the depth at 21" is what is important. If it is close, some of the rear top brick can be carved out for the fit. The Hampton HI500 is about 23.5" tall and about 19" deep, so the depth at that point is what's important.
This is incredebly helpful and I will look into these. Thank you so much!

This is incredebly helpful and I will look into these. Thank you so much!
There are other inserts, but these are two that have a good classic look.

I'm very close to purchasing a Jotul F500 Oslo but now that I've seen this thread I'm wondering, what do you mean that the first season was not too good? Were there major problems or just that it didn't perform as well as they expected?

There were some reports of the big catalyst warping due to being out of spec. This has causes some collateral damage to the baffle in some cases. Watching now to see how the replacement cat works.

Reactions: lgesel
Hello Begreen. How did you get your info about the Oslo Catalyst warping? thank you.

John
There have been a few threads here and many reports of it through out the industry. Jotul claims the cause was out of spec parts.

My personal thought (with no hands on experience with the stove) is that the un bypassed cat loads up with creosote before it gets up to temp. When it does light off that creosote ignites and overheats the cat.