Rebuilding/replacing wood-burning fireplace facade?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karinnew

Jul 14, 2013
Minneapolis
Hi, everyone. We bought our first home a year ago, gutted both levels, are gradually renovating, and have learned a lot from the process. However, we're a little stumped with our fireplace problem. I've recently tried contacting a few local fireplace companies, but haven't received any response.

We had to remove the brick facade on the wood-burning fireplace in our basement due to mold/water damage and installing a new drain tile system. We are looking at the most cost-effective solution given the scope of all our projects. Right now the rest of the room has been rewired, framed, and finished, aside from the fireplace and flooring installation. Where the fireplace facade was, it is now flush with the basement block walls. We still have the original metal front/doors. I went to the local fireplace insert store, and their quote was at least $4000 for their least expensive gas insert installation (which included the current $800 groupon!). Can anyone point me in the right direction on what we could do? What would be a good, cost-effective way to "frame out" the fireplace (perhaps reusing the old door)? Is this something we could do ourselves with tons of research or should we leave it to the pros? I'm guessing it is more cost-effective to keep the fireplace wood-burning, although the gas meter is right outside the chimney, so maybe a gas fireplace is possible?

I attached a picture of the original and a more recent picture showing the hole in the wall that currently exists. We would probably want a very simple/modern/minimalist facade - I attached an example of one that I love, although I have NO idea if this is even possible. I would greatly appreciate any ideas or information, since we are stumped. Thank you!!

THSfireplace.jpg700_messana-o-rourke-architects-miniamlist-fireplace.jpg

Hi and welcome. Would you be opposed to installing a wood burning insert with a liner? If not, it should be possible for $3000-$4000 depending on insert choice. What are the dimensions for the current fireplace, front and back, including depths?

Thank you! I guess we are open to any option at this time - just hoping to not break the bank. At the front of the fireplace, it is 35.5" wide and 33.5" tall. The width at the back is 27". The depth at the top is 14" and the bottom is 22" (and is extends out beyond being flush with the wall at the bottom). I hope my description is clear, but if you need additional measurements or clarification, just let me know. Thank you again!

There are several contemporary inserts that might fit with that decor. I think the brick could be plastered to achieve the clean look. Some modern inserts to look at would be the Morso 5660, the Osburn Matrix and the Regency Alterra,

Thank you for the consideration and suggestions. Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but would it be possible to rebuild the surround, reuse the original doors/front, and not use an insert? I'm just trying to get a handle on our options. I truly appreciate your help and expertise!

If the doors are in good condition I don't see why not. This would be a question for a certified fireplace installer.

I don't see any reason that the old doors couldn't be reused. One issue is the expense of a hiring a mason, and buying the stone. It might be a substantial expense. Although, you will need a mason to put the stone up even if you go with an insert I guess.
I've never seen such a plain looking masonry fireplace as the one in the picture. I wanted mine to look like a state park, it was just plain white brick before I started.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 335
Reactions: ScotO
Status
Not open for further replies.