Recommendation for Ash Vacuum?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MagdalenaP

Burning Hunk
Nov 10, 2018
Tilbury, ON
Hey All!
I'd love to know if anyone has vacuum for ashes/coals, that they'd recommend? (Make/model) And can they really be used with semi hot coals?

Thank you in advance.

I just scoop my ashes out, so I can't help you on that part.
What I can tell you though is that there is not a vacuum out there that will let you vacuum up any kind of warm ashes, you're asking for an inferno.
What some people do here is get a metal scoop to sort out the coals, and then scoop up the ashes and store them in a metal container until they are all the way cooled down. This can take much longer than one would expect

Hey All!
I'd love to know if anyone has vacuum for ashes/coals, that they'd recommend? (Make/model) And can they really be used with semi hot coals?

Thank you in advance.
No vac can be used with hot coals

Don't buy one. I had one and it would only get up about 1/2 cup of ash if that before the filters got clogged. I use a smaller shop vacuum the has both the canister filter and a filter bag. You can get bags with small enough micron that no ash will get by the bag. But still the idea is to get as much out as you can with the ash shovel before you use the vacuum. Also what bholler said.

A larger Shopvac will work when everything is DEAD COLD. If you are cleaning a burning or recently "out" fire use a metal shovel or the ash pan. Hot/recently burnt ash should be kept sealed for 2-3 days minimum before being dumped outside. Basically you should consider it still a burning fire. I keep mine for a week outside in a closed 16"X16" metal box before taking to the garden or filling groundhog holes.