Recommendation for wood burning insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chris kim

Oct 14, 2021
South Salem NY
I would like to have a wood burning insert .

My Fireplace dimensions:
Front wide 29
Rear wide 22 3/4
Height 27
Depth 21

Please recommend it
Thank you so much
Chris

347EE12C-08F7-4DB4-A55D-D6CEB81515FD.jpeg

Some background information will be helpful. Here are some questions to help narrow down choices:

How large is the area where the fireplace is located? How open is this to the rest of the house? What is the sq ftg intended to be heated? How will the insert be used? 24/7 heating or more like nights and weekends?

I have central air system and well insulated 2500sf house. I will use insert only weekend. I'm interested in Kuma Alpine and Osburn and regency. Does anybody know which brand is best or recommend for other brand. Thank you so much

I can only speak to Kuma. I have the Kuma Cascade LE and I LOVE IT! They have excellent customer service and the stoves/inserts are hand built here in the US. I cannot recommend them highly enough! Just my 2 cents.

Welcome to the forums !!!

Put the biggest firebox in that you can. you won't regret it.

Get started on firewood NOW! Don't wait.

Good luck, keep us posted !!!

First real fire in our Osburn 2700 Matrix tonight. I installed it over the summer. Already have the air control figured out and it is rolling right along with nice secondary burn. Fan is quiet and the viewing window is huge. We have about the same SF and I can tell this will easily heat our house. FWIW- our house is very well insulated and we have a large ceiling fan in the den. I can tell that helps circulate air throughout the other rooms.
Again- this is our first real fire (had a few break in fires) so there is still a bunch to learn. We love it so far.

First real fire in our Osburn 2700 Matrix tonight. I installed it over the summer. Already have the air control figured out and it is rolling right along with nice secondary burn. Fan is quiet and the viewing window is huge. We have about the same SF and I can tell this will easily heat our house. FWIW- our house is very well insulated and we have a large ceiling fan in the den. I can tell that helps circulate air throughout the other rooms.
Again- this is our first real fire (had a few break in fires) so there is still a bunch to learn. We love it so far.
Nice! When you get a chance, leave a review in the Ratings section.

My local shop guy said I need to wait couple of months for Kuma Insert. They sell Pacific Energy brand and the sales guy recommend Super Insert LE.
Is it better than Kuma? Does anyone have experienced?
Thanks

My local shop guy said I need to wait couple of months for Kuma Insert. They sell Pacific Energy brand and the sales guy recommend Super Insert LE.
Thanks
Not better or worse. It's a different burn technology, non-cat. The Super is a great stove, low maintenance, and nicely designed. There are many satisfied owners.

PS: I know your neck of the woods well. My sister still lives there.

Thanks
Love my PE. It's a work horse.

Simple to use, easy to clean, heats this 2000 SF house like a champ :)

Still getting to know the Osburn 2700 Matrix. Had a warm streak so no fires for the last 2 weeks. The stove is awesome. The customer service not so much. We sent 2 separate inquiries about a feature that was not as advertised when the insert arrived. This is over the course of months and NADA. Nothing. Zip from Osburn.
With that said- the insert is great but I am really not a fan of the non-existent customer service. I have tried to call them multiple times and the phone call either disconnects, or hangs up after choosing the option for a wood burning stove question.
If not for the really bad customer service, I would recommend the stove.