Recommendations for a small Child-Safe hallway stove/insert/fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
1684280905799.png
No different than teaching them not to do this, a stove is a stove...

View attachment 312780
No different than teaching them not to do this, a stove is a stove...
Every parent on this forum is looking at that image, and wondering why that pot isn't spun around so that the handle faces away from the child. Facing handles away from the edge of the stove is (or should be) as second-nature as tying your own shoes, to any parent.

Hello!

I would appreciate some recommendations for a wood burning stove in an area of new construction.
The planned placement is in a hallway (see below - the solid black rectangle).

The wife is concerned about the kids burning themselves on a freestanding stove as they walk past and we're trying to figure out a way to minimize that danger.

Details:
  • PA location/winters
  • Total area to heat is 1,070 sq ft, with 8 ft. ceilings
  • House is all one level, with a crawlspace below
  • Stove footprint is only 2' x 3' (but can be adjusted a bit)
  • Hoping to keep the price reasonable
This stove would supplement the existing heat pump/use in the case of losing power/extremely low temps as a stopgap.
I would like wood due to its abundance on our property and not needing to rely on electric or refilling propane/oil.

I appreciate all ideas. Thank you for your help!

View attachment 312651
I feel like some really major information is missing. Like why on earth you would have angled walls, or place a wood heater in a hallway. Or why there's no kitchen.

That being said, the most effective floor plan for wood burning is competely open, not separated by walls or doors.

For a freestanding wood appliance to be effective, it needs to sit out into the room where air can circulate freely around it. If you are using an efficient built-in model, there needs to be free convection around it for heat transfer. Gravity vents actually work better than fans in most cases.

An efficient wood burner needs to achieve internal temperature of over 1100 degrees. If you, out of fear, run it cooler than it should, you will clog up your chimney very quickly. Don't do that.

You have two choices.

Go back to the drawing board. For less extreme heat at the appliance, you could use a wood boiler and circulate water through radiators or radiant flooring. You'll still need a little power to run the pump. If you live in an area prone to power outages, invest in a generator for critical items.

Or, as one commenter suggested, a soapstone stove, or better, a soapstone masonry heater will be *less* hot on the surface. It still needs space around it. That location on your plan isn't going to work.

1684343727038.png

It's an addition being planned.