recommendations for cleaning vent pipe for insert stove. (leaf blower questions too)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

movemaine

Minister of Fire
Nov 28, 2011
Central Maine
movemaine.com
Not sure that the leafblower trick will work for me.

I have a Harman Accentra Insert with a 30ft chimney (and the vent pipe goes all the way out the chimney).

With inserts, is the best method for cleaning the vent pulling the stove out?

I'm thinking I could put a shop vac attached at the bottom and run it that way (do I need a chimney brush? - smaller one obviously)

Do a search through here about folks using LintEater and other devices that you hook up to your drill. I'm in the same boat -- that is, the leaf blower is cool but I ain't climbing up on my 2 1/2 story roof! Good luck.

I don't mind getting on the roof (although the pitch is a nightmare and it gets my heart racing), but I'm wondering if I use the leafblower trick, do I still need to brush?

Yes.. You still need to brush the vent.

The leafblower is no replacement to regular scheduled cleanings. Its an aid to help remove something that may have been overlooked or a place that is very hard to clean.

The Lint-eater kit comes with a neat attachment that allows you to hook up a Shop vac to the vent and run the brush up from the bottom, while the Shop vac sucks the ash. All staying inside your home. (Cap still needs to be cleaned) Some set-ups are easier to clean than others.

Either way, whether you use a leafblower from the top or Shop vac from the bottom, the Lint-Eater is the ticket.

movemaine said:
I'm wondering if I use the leafblower trick, do I still need to brush?

Most certainly, and floss regularly, as well. Remember, 12 out of 9 dentists surveyed recommend whatever they think will increase their child's chances of being accepted to a good college.

hossthehermit said:
movemaine said:

Most certainly, and floss regularly, as well. Remember, 12 out of 9 dentists surveyed recommend whatever they think will increase their child's chances of being accepted to a good college.

The forums need a "like" or +1 button

movemaine said:
hossthehermit said:
movemaine said:

The forums need a "like" or +1 button

X2

Status
Not open for further replies.