Recommendations for Wood burning insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TaylorVett

Jan 28, 2019
Kentucky
I am so confused by all the different options for wood burning inserts. I found an amazing deal on Costco for the Drolet 1800 escape. $1400 and it includes the liner! However, reviews have said that the fan is annoyingly loud. So now I'm back to square one and could use some insight. I will be placing the insert in my family room with vaulted ceilings and approximately 600 sqft. Our ranch home is 2000 sqft total, with an additional 800 in the basement. Would be nice if it helped heat the rest of the house, but I'm mainly looking for added warmth in the family room. My budget is $2000, what would you purchase/have purchased in the past?

I am so confused by all the different options for wood burning inserts. I found an amazing deal on Costco for the Drolet 1800 escape. $1400 and it includes the liner! However, reviews have said that the fan is annoyingly loud. So now I'm back to square one and could use some insight. I will be placing the insert in my family room with vaulted ceilings and approximately 600 sqft. Our ranch home is 2000 sqft total, with an additional 800 in the basement. Would be nice if it helped heat the rest of the house, but I'm mainly looking for added warmth in the family room. My budget is $2000, what would you purchase/have purchased in the past?
What type and size firplace do you have

Masonry fireplace. 30.5" W, 20.5" L, 31 " D
Drolet makes good entry level stoves I would not be afraid to get it. I would recommend insulting the liner though. I am sure at that price there is no insulation

I have a cousin to the 1800-I (virtually the same except a few items that don't impact performance), you will be happy with it.

Like bholler said, you'll want (and more than likely require for code purposes) liner insulation, so you'll need to get that separately. You may also want to get quotes for the install before you purchase, just so you know your total cost. Be prepared to spend north of $2000 all in if you have someone install it for you.

I found someone to install for $1,000 if I provide the liner, which seems like a steal too. Just searching online, I found an insulated liner for around $600. $3,000 all in isn't a bad deal. Just worried about everyone's reviews for the fan noise....click on the link below and you can hear the noise I'm referring to.

I may be wrong on this but I'd consider that kind of fan noise an exception and not the norm. SBI, parent of Drolet, makes a good product. I would think if you got a fan like that, they'd either help you fix it or replace it under warranty. They've been helpful and responsive the couple of times I've dealt with them.

As for liner insulation, it helps with performance of the flue (keeps flue gases hotter, minimizing creosote buildup) and it is a safety thing (in event of a chimney fire, helps keep the rest of the house safe). There's really no downside to it.

I found someone to install for $1,000 if I provide the liner, which seems like a steal too. Just searching online, I found an insulated liner for around $600. $3,000 all in isn't a bad deal. Just worried about everyone's reviews for the fan noise....click on the link below and you can hear the noise I'm referring to.

No need to buy another liner. The insulation can be purchased and applied by you or the installer, I think I paid about $200. It shows up rolled up in a box with a can of the spray adhesive and the steel mesh that you pull over it like a sock. Easy job. Maybe 30 minutes.

I wouldn't stress about the fan noise. You will notice it at first but it tends to become white noise and go unnoticed after a while, at least that's what I've always found with the fans on my stoves, and I have one between my chair and the tv in my living room.