Recommendations: Stove for 24/7 Heating of a Moderately Insulated Somewhat Leaky 2000 sq-ft Old Hou

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jharkin said:
Turn off HGTV. Seriously. Old x= bad.

If your "cr*ptastic" single pane windows are 100+ years old I'd STRONGLY encourage you to reconsider tearing them out. Just upgrade the weatherstripping and put on GOOD wooden framed storms that seal properly and you will have 95% of the performance of a double glazed window at 5% of the cost.

Not to mention those vinyl replacements will need replacing themselves in 20 years. Well maintained wooden windows have lasted centuries.

Dont even get me started on tearing out real plaster to put in wallboard....

No worries, J,

I put H&G in proper perspective after I realized a trashed house couldn't be renovated by an amateur in three months for $20K and $100K profit. :)

I love old, and am saving anything worth saving, often at greater effort and cost--like the old, semi-reformed hippie that I am. Anyone else would have simply torn the house down, so anything I can salvage is a blow for history. Trust me, these are *not* good wood windows, and they already have decent cheap storms on them. I'll upgrade them when I replace the aluminum siding, which is low on my list, since the siding is still functional. If anyone has a source for good wood windows for anywhere near the price of good vinyls, I'm interested. I'm already scouring the local Habitat for Humanity ReStore.

The plaster and lathe was moldy and *stank*, thanks to decades of abuse. I do not like dry wall, and am not putting any in. All surfaces, ceilings included, will be wood, and the great room walls will be vertical T&G. Few can understand why I am going through all the trouble, since I could have gone for a standard new house with standard construction for 1% of the effort and half the cost . But I get great satisfaction from wood, craftsmanship, and thoughtfulness, and I see the same sort of emphasis on simple truths over artifice here. :coolsmile:

RenovationGeorge said:
If anyone has a source for good wood windows for anywhere near the price of good vinyls, I'm interested.

I found mine on Ebay. The architect for a restore of an old brick building screwed up the print and the windows were an inch too wide. I got 44 identical windows still factory wrapped for 20 cents on the dollar. Just took me 2 years to find and then design the house around them.

RenovationGeorge said:
I love old, and am saving anything worth saving, often at greater effort and cost--like the old, semi-reformed hippie that I am. Anyone else would have simply torn the house down, so anything I can salvage is a blow for history. Trust me, these are *not* good wood windows, and they already have decent cheap storms on them. I'll upgrade them when I replace the aluminum siding, which is low on my list, since the siding is still functional. If anyone has a source for good wood windows for anywhere near the price of good vinyls, I'm interested. I'm already scouring the local Habitat for Humanity ReStore.

Good on you for working with what's there already instead of just trashing & re-doing quick & cheap. I am of the same mind. Realities (time & $) sometimes do win-out though.
I replaced my leaky & mostly in-operable old windows with wood-framed, AL-clad, double-pane, low-e.... by using replacement sash kits (these to be exact http://www.kolbe-kolbe.com/files/brochures/brochure_DHRSK_5024090.pdf). This route works if your frames are still in good shape and is generally cheaper and easier than even lower quality vinyl replacements. Oh, and you can keep your decent storms installed for an additional ~20-30% insulation value. ReStore, hardware store overstock... is good if you can build your frame to fit what you find like SolarAndWood; did. I'm currently doing that on my sunporch. 80% off top qualty wood windows is the only reason I can afford to re-build the porch.

I just talked with someone at Blaze King, and he said "Sorry, there is an almost ZERO chance the King will run on 6". " Dang. Looks like I can't use the 6" piping I have, and will have to bite the bullet on 8". At least I haven't installed the 6" yet.

After I travel tomorrow I'll look into getting some wood up now--either getting someone to split what I have, or buy it outright. How many cords do you think I'd use with a King in my place over a MI winter? I'll have the first floor walls tight and insulated, the second will have to make do with poor sealing (holey particle board sheathing) and R11 insulation.

Thanks all.

George-

Cool. I know I tend to react pretty emotionally about preservation, glad to hear you don't take it the wrong way and are trying to restore!

This might be of help, I got it from folks at old house web and Ive use some of the techniques to work on my windows with good results.
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7aq8e/homewindowrestorationwork/index.html
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7aq8e/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/about_old_windows.pdf

Havent tried this yet but plan to at some point:
http://www.oldhouseweb.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13686

Good luck, and glad to hear another old house is getting saved from tear down.

-Jeremy

Renovation George . . . good for you . . . my wife and I have often said that there truly is something to be said about old homes and their level of craftsmanship vs. most homes built these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.