Recommended stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KellyW

Feb 15, 2021
Knoxville, TN
Hello!

My husband and I are in the market for a wood burning stove insert to go in our fireplace. We live in East Tennessee, so winters aren’t terribly cold (although I’m from the desert, so I think they’re freezing), and we’d use it to cut costs on heating the house. Our fireplace now is just a wood guzzling monster, as beautiful as it is. The opening is 48”w X 34”h X 22”d, so it’s a rather large space. The dilemma we’ve run into is agreeing on a stove... he is pretty set on the Buck 81, but I think it’s on the unattractive side, and has such a small glass front to be in that large of a fireplace opening. He wants a Buck because it’s a high performing, reputable brand... he doesn’t care about the looks, he wants a stove that’s going to heat our house and last for a long time... however, I want it to be attractive, as well as effective. So I set out to find a more esthetically pleasing stove and surround, while keeping in mind that he wants a work horse of a stove. To meet his requests, I need to find a stove that is non-catalytic, has firebricks instead of a liner inside, around 2.5 cu ft firebox, wood can be stacked north/south, and the ability to manually adjust the air intake. Here’s some stoves I’ve found that are beautiful, but fail to meet one or more things he’s looking for:

Quadra Fire Expedition 2 - no ability to adjust air intake
Vermont Castings Montpelier - no ability to adjust air intake
Hearthstone Clydesdale - catalytic and has a liner instead of firebricks
Pacific Energy Alderlea T5 - oversize surround isn’t large enough to fill our fireplace opening, smaller firebox
Osburn Matrix 2700 - has a liner instead of firebricks

I found a stove I fell in love with and met every request of his, the Enviro Boston 1700, but in calling a local dealer, it appears to be discontinued :(

Does anyone have any brands that might work for us? I’m starting to think I’m going to have to make due with the Buck 81 and add some trim to the surround to make it more attractive and get over the small glass door. I’ve attached a photo of our current fireplace. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

F40377F8-4A80-4012-8000-4F70FD88AD89.jpeg

Hello!

My husband and I are in the market for a wood burning stove insert to go in our fireplace. We live in East Tennessee, so winters aren’t terribly cold (although I’m from the desert, so I think they’re freezing), and we’d use it to cut costs on heating the house. Our fireplace now is just a wood guzzling monster, as beautiful as it is. The opening is 48”w X 34”h X 22”d, so it’s a rather large space. The dilemma we’ve run into is agreeing on a stove... he is pretty set on the Buck 81, but I think it’s on the unattractive side, and has such a small glass front to be in that large of a fireplace opening. He wants a Buck because it’s a high performing, reputable brand... he doesn’t care about the looks, he wants a stove that’s going to heat our house and last for a long time... however, I want it to be attractive, as well as effective. So I set out to find a more esthetically pleasing stove and surround, while keeping in mind that he wants a work horse of a stove. To meet his requests, I need to find a stove that is non-catalytic, has firebricks instead of a liner inside, around 2.5 cu ft firebox, wood can be stacked north/south, and the ability to manually adjust the air intake. Here’s some stoves I’ve found that are beautiful, but fail to meet one or more things he’s looking for:

Quadra Fire Expedition 2 - no ability to adjust air intake
Vermont Castings Montpelier - no ability to adjust air intake
Hearthstone Clydesdale - catalytic and has a liner instead of firebricks
Pacific Energy Alderlea T5 - oversize surround isn’t large enough to fill our fireplace opening, smaller firebox
Osburn Matrix 2700 - has a liner instead of firebricks

I found a stove I fell in love with and met every request of his, the Enviro Boston 1700, but in calling a local dealer, it appears to be discontinued :(

Does anyone have any brands that might work for us? I’m starting to think I’m going to have to make due with the Buck 81 and add some trim to the surround to make it more attractive and get over the small glass door. I’ve attached a photo of our current fireplace. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

View attachment 274694

I'd go with the Buck. I don't think if you "have to make do with the Buck 81", you'll be disappointed with the performance. Step up to the 91, and enjoy long burn times with the catalyst. I can vouch for the quality and workmanship of a 91. We've had one for 13 years. The wife chose the pewter trim. What square footage is your home?

EDI8eQQl.jpg

Osburn 2200 has the impressive bay window

2200_ob02201_oa10140_oa10110_oa10128.jpg

I'd go with the Buck. I don't think if you "have to make do with the Buck 81", you'll be disappointed with the performance. Step up to the 91, and enjoy long burn times with the catalyst. I can vouch for the quality and workmanship of a 91. We've had one for 13 years. The wife chose the pewter trim. What square footage is your home?

Oh that 91 looks beautiful! And our fireplace is similar with the rock and size. I think once we do a mantle, it will help the look also. I LOVE how y’all have those mantle supports coming down. What a neat look.

So we were looking at the 91, but don’t want to deal with a cat. Being in East Tennessee, we’ve got winter days in the 50-60s, so we don’t necessarily need the stove to be one that’s burning for super long periods of time. Our main floor is about 2000sq ft, but about 800sq ft of that is separated with a door and we don’t use much. Upstairs is just our office and a bonus area over the garage, which has its own AC/heat unit for when we need to be up there, so we don’t need to stove to be powerful enough to heat up across the whole main floor and make it up the stairs, if that makes sense. Our floor plan has the living room in the dead center of the house, and the direction the fireplace looks goes into the kitchen and then our bedroom is on the other side of it, which is where the air return is located. So if the stove can heat the living room enough to flow into our room and make it to the return, it’ll circulate the main floor. That’s our thought anyways.

I saw that there was a Buck 94 up until the government decided to put their paws in the stove industry... and that would have been perfect cause it was the non catalytic version of the 91... but it unfortunately didn’t make the cut, along with the Enviro stove I really wanted.

We found the Buck 81 for $2400 with no tax and free shipping online, including the oversize surround, so we ended up buying that last night... couldn’t pass up that price when compared to some of the decorative looking stoves I was considering.

Osburn 2200 has the impressive bay window

View attachment 274767

That is beautiful, but it looks like it’s been discontinued from what I’ve seen online : ( so many of these gorgeous stoves didn’t pass the 2020 EPA guidelines that require less than 2 grams of soot per hour of emissions... we’re about a year too late to be getting into the stove business unfortunately. The options for non-cat inserts have been narrowed down tremendously.

Oh that 91 looks beautiful! And our fireplace is similar with the rock and size. I think once we do a mantle, it will help the look also. I LOVE how y’all have those mantle supports coming down. What a neat look.

Thanks for the flowers. I'm pretty sure the Buck 81 will do exactly what you want it to. Post back with pictures and thoughts when you get it installed.

I will for sure! Once we get the mantle up, I think it will really bring the whole look together. I will say that I’m excited to enjoy the living room without being bundled up trying to stay warm haha

So we were looking at the 91, but don’t want to deal with a cat. Being in East Tennessee, we’ve got winter days in the 50-60s, so we don’t necessarily need the stove to be one that’s burning for super long periods of time. Our main floor is about 2000sq ft, but about 800sq ft of that is separated with a door and we don’t use much. Upstairs is just our office and a bonus area over the garage, which has its own AC/heat unit for when we need to be up there, so we don’t need to stove to be powerful enough to heat up across the whole main floor and make it up the stairs, if that makes sense. Our floor plan has the living room in the dead center of the house, and the direction the fireplace looks goes into the kitchen and then our bedroom is on the other side of it, which is where the air return is located. So if the stove can heat the living room enough to flow into our room and make it to the return, it’ll circulate the main floor. That’s our thought anyways.

I saw that there was a Buck 94 up until the government decided to put their paws in the stove industry... and that would have been perfect cause it was the non catalytic version of the 91... but it unfortunately didn’t make the cut, along with the Enviro stove I really wanted.

We found the Buck 81 for $2400 with no tax and free shipping online, including the oversize surround, so we ended up buying that last night... couldn’t pass up that price when compared to some of the decorative looking stoves I was considering.
To be clear there have been emissions standards for about 30 years now. And each step has improved efficiency and overall performance. This time around as with all others some companies started redesigning their lines early and now have a full line of compliant stoves on the market while others waited until the last minute.

But none of the clean burning efficient stoves we have been buying since the early 90s would exist without those regulations. The market would still be flooded with basic steel box smoke dragons.

But I will agree now is not the greatest time to be stove shopping. Between low selection and many untested designs it does make things difficult

Last edited:
Reactions: begreen and KellyW
You bought, so congrats to becoming a member of the cozy wood heat community.

I do want to note that I used to live where you are, and I hope you didn't buy too big a heat machine... A low and slow cat stove is for sure what I'd buy if I moved back there... On the other hand you can always open a window...

To be clear there have been emissions standards for about 30 years now. And each step has improved efficiency and overall performance. This time around as with all others some companies started rewiring their lines early and now have a full line of compliant stoves on the market while others waited until the last minute.

But none of the clean burning efficient stoves we have been buying since the early 90s would exist without those regulations. The market would still be flooded with basic steel box smoke dragons.

But I will agree now is not the greatest time to be stove shopping. Between low selection and many untested designs it does make things difficult

Sorry if my comment came across wrong... I get that things have to be constantly improving and as we find better ways of doing things, it’s important to adapt. It was just a bummer to fall in love with a stove, only to find I couldn’t get it because it put out 3.5 grams per hour instead of 2... when looking at all the other things in the world that put out way more emissions, getting so tight on the wood stove industry just seems like a small bone to pick. But I get why it happens. Even the stoves that had to be discontinued cause they didn’t meet the new requirements were, I’m sure, putting out way less emissions than our current open fireplace lol I’m just looking forward to not having to help chop wood every other week to keep up with how much we had to burn to warm up our living room :D

You bought, so congrats to becoming a member of the cozy wood heat community.

I do want to note that I used to live where you are, and I hope you didn't buy too big a heat machine... A low and slow cat stove is for sure what I'd buy if I moved back there... On the other hand you can always open a window...

The Buck 81 is 2.4 cu ft and has an adjustable airflow... so we’ll be able to slow it down if it gets too hot... we also have 10’ ceilings with two 12x12x25 skylights in the living room, as well as the entire front and back of the house being windows (although they are double paned, but still)... so it’s a lot of area for the heat to rise and lose it from the main space if the stove didn’t warm enough. If it gets too hot, we can open the skylights and let it vent. I’m from the desert tho, so if it can heat our living room up to 75 or so I’d be stoked haha the only time we’d run it all day is if it was low 40’s or below outside. Otherwise we’ll only run it on cold evenings, and then let it die so it won’t be too hot when we sleep. That’s the plan anyways

Reactions: stoveliker
Have you considered a hearth mounted stove? I will just throw out the Jotul F45. I think it might meet all your requirements. I like mine for the mild climate for two reasons the stone work acts as a heat sink so I don’t get blasted out by the fire on a bit so cold day. One load in the evening for looks of a fire and some cozy heat. Second is the blower is completely optional.
Just my two cents. Now cleaning the F45 is another thing if you don’t rear vent it to a T but just throwing out possibilities to keep everyone happy.

Have you considered a hearth mounted stove? I will just throw out the Jotul F45. I think it might meet all your requirements. I like mine for the mild climate for two reasons the stone work acts as a heat sink so I don’t get blasted out by the fire on a bit so cold day. One load in the evening for looks of a fire and some cozy heat. Second is the blower is completely optional.
Just my two cents. Now cleaning the F45 is another thing if you don’t rear vent it to a T but just throwing out possibilities to keep everyone happy.
We don’t have the space for a stand alone stove with how our living room is set up. We’d have to completely tear down the fireplace wall, and we don’t want to do that. I’ve seen more photos of the Buck inserts in fireplaces that look similar to ours, and I’ve been much more impressed than the stock photos I saw. I will post some photos here once we get the 81 delivered and installed. A mantle will happen soon after and I think that will help the look as well

The PE Alderlea T5 is 2 cu ft. Depending on how large of an area the insert will be heating, you might be better served by either the 2.5 cu ft Neo 2.5 or the 3.0 cu ft Summit insert which are both non-cat. Also, look at the Hampton HI2450. It hits your sweet spot for size and is a good looker.

Last edited:
Look at the Napoleon S25 it is 2.5 cuft 17" north south loading 23" east west 200 square inch viewing and 72% efficiency 48"x33" surround and 41"x30" surround available
Also Osburn 3500 3.5 cuft 17" north south loading and 22" east west 221 square inch viewing 71% efficiency 32"x44" and 32"x50" surround
If I were to buy a new insert my top there choices would be PE Summit Napoleon S25 and Osburn 3500 the PE would be on top because of the EBT system the draw back is it sticks out on the hearth to far for my application. I am very happy with my Napoleon 1401 I would hope for the same with the S25. The big firebox on the Osburn would be great.
My experience with Buck is mostly with the 18 I am not impressed with that stove at all. As far as the 81 efficiency is not that great the T5 is definitely better along with the three I mentioned. every Buck I have ever seen with side windows are always black they seem to soot up easy and stay that way until cleaned off. Another thing to think about is wood length, if you buy wood around here its mostly sold cut to 16" that would leave 4" open in North South loading in the Buck obviously if you cut your own its not an issue.

Look at the Napoleon S25 it is 2.5 cuft 17" north south loading 23" east west 200 square inch viewing and 72% efficiency 48"x33" surround and 41"x30" surround available
Also Osburn 3500 3.5 cuft 17" north south loading and 22" east west 221 square inch viewing 71% efficiency 32"x44" and 32"x50" surround
If I were to buy a new insert my top there choices would be PE Summit Napoleon S25 and Osburn 3500 the PE would be on top because of the EBT system the draw back is it sticks out on the hearth to far for my application. I am very happy with my Napoleon 1401 I would hope for the same with the S25. The big firebox on the Osburn would be great.
My experience with Buck is mostly with the 18 I am not impressed with that stove at all. As far as the 81 efficiency is not that great the T5 is definitely better along with the three I mentioned. every Buck I have ever seen with side windows are always black they seem to soot up easy and stay that way until cleaned off. Another thing to think about is wood length, if you buy wood around here its mostly sold cut to 16" that would leave 4" open in North South loading in the Buck obviously if you cut your own its not an issue.
My husband ended up winning the battle and we ordered the 81. The price he found it for, I just couldn’t justify spending an extra $1500+ just for a larger viewing window by a couple inches and a little prettier look lol if we end up unsatisfied with it, we can probably sell it for at least what we paid for it and get something else.
Fortunately we live on 6 acres of woods, so we cut/split our own wood. We’ve got a healthy stash that’s been stacked for a couple years, and as we cut going forward we can do whatever length we want, up to 22” I believe is the tallest we can fit in the splitter.
Fingers crossed the 81 does what we need it to do and I don’t have to bundle up on the couch anymore trying to stay warm haha

It will probably serve you well lets us know how you guys like it. The 81 should look good in your fireplace. I think Bucks look best with out the surround.

It will probably serve you well lets us know how you guys like it. The 81 should look good in your fireplace. I think Bucks look best with out the surround.
I thought about putting it in the fireplace and leaving the surround off... is that ok to do? I personally think their surrounds are really boring and ugly lol my husband said I could always add a metal trim of some sort to it... or we could always have a fireplace guy come fill in the space with river rock to match the rest of the fireplace. There’s options to make it look better, I think.

yes you can leave the trim off I am not a fan of them either that is getting more popular. I made a custom surround for both of mine very simple and cheap here is a pic of my Lopi something like this may work for you guys.thumbnail (1).jpg

Could you give a link to wherever you found the information about the wood length for the Napoleon S25, and any other specs other than installation instructions, exterior dimensions, and pretty photos? I've looked at everything on their site and everyplace else I can think of and couldn't find even the wood length, much less anything about the innards! TIA, Antie

Could you give a link to wherever you found the information about the wood length for the Napoleon S25, and any other specs other than installation instructions, exterior dimensions, and pretty photos? I've looked at everything on their site and everyplace else I can think of and couldn't find even the wood length, much less anything about the innards! TIA, Antie
Did you download the stove manual to read?

Page 6

Emissions 1.30 grams / hour Efficiency Overall LHV HHV 71.56% 76.99% 71.56% Chamber (D.W.H) 18” x 23 1/2” x 11” (457mm x 597mm x 279mm) Viewing Area 200.6 in² (1294.1cm²) Capacity 2.51 cubic feet (0.07 cubic meters) Approx. area heated** Up to 2,100 ft² (195.1 m²) Maximum heat output*** 70,000 BTU /Hr Heat output* 19,195 - 54,057 BTU/Hr Duration low fire** 16.26 hours Weight w/o bricks 345.78 lbs (156.84kg) Weight of bricks 48 lbs (21.7kg) Ideal wood length Front-back loading 17” (432mm) Left-right loading 23” (584mm) Minimum Stack Height **** 15 feet (4.5m) Efficiency Standard B415.1-10 Minimum Depth 14 3/8” (365mm) Maximum Depth 19 1/8” (486mm)