Recycle bags?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OhioBurner©

Minister of Fire
Aug 20, 2010
Center of Ohio
I just assumed these bags were recyclable, as they're marked #4 (Somersets at least, not sure about a few others I have around). I've been saving them in a big pile, I use some for landscaping weedbarriers, etc, but probably 100s on hand now and cleaning my house for company. Actually have dumspter here now, will get picked up tomorrow most likely. I called up a recycling center that is somewhat close by, I could head that way soon, but the lady said they don't take em?!? I understand the drop off dumpsters won't take em but I thought the recycling centers where you have to sort based on number would.

Was the lady misunderstanding me? Anyone else able to recycle these? Makes me sick to put a thousand bags in the landfill but I do have a dumpster sitting here for a little while longer...

Last edited:
my town has quarterly recycling days that take them. I'm skeptical if my weekly recycling pickup is the right place for them, so I save them for the quarterly events.

I've recycled mine for years, I didn't ask, but they haven't complained.

Last edited:
Most larger grocery stores have a bin for plastic bag recycling as does Walmart.

My town doesn't take them - tells me I have to put them in the trash. Local stores say only "grocery" type bags. I know of at least one town that used to take them, don't know if they still do but doesn't help me out since I'm not a resident.

Where the heck were you storing hundreds of empty pellet bags?

They don't take much room. I probably have 30-40 in a plastic bin that I used to empty 40 lb bags of dog food into. They get compressed when I place an unopened bag of pellets on top (next bag on deck for the P43), and don't un-compress when the weight is taken off them.

Most larger grocery stores have a bin for plastic bag recycling as does Walmart.
Can't speak for wallmart since I haven't stepped foot in one in a couple years but the grocery store I go to has #2 bags. Not sure if that is compatible but I could always fill up a cart and just stick it there quick.

Where the heck were you storing hundreds of empty pellet bags?
I may have overestimated how many I have, but 2 seasons worth minus some I've used for other things, but I just fold them over once, flat, and in pile in the corner of the basement. It's not that big really, maybe a shopping cart sized pile. I also have a large 50 gallon or whatever plastic trash can crammed full of Ecobrick packages, and since I have not used them for anything else there should be around 300 of those.

Reactions: bogieb
For the last 20+ years I've just used them for garbage bags thru out the residence. The pile is always gone before the next season. YMMV

Reactions: bogieb
I use 2 bags minimum a week for garbage (1 for cat litter and one for household). Doesn't nearly cover how many I empty during winter. When I rearranged my basement last fall I threw out a bunch of bags, saving less than enough to get me until next winter. Now I have probably enough to get me 2 years.

Best garbage bags I have ever used . Strong and free (more or less )
It saves me a bundle on buying bags and the critters that love garbage
have a real tough time trying to get into them.

Reactions: GT_Sharp
my town has quarterly recycling days that take them. I'm skeptical if my weekly recycling pickup is the right place for them, so I save them for the quarterly events.
I put mine out with the rest of the recycle, as do others in my town.

I roll my bags up into a little cylinder as I use them and put them in with my kitchen trash . Pickup is Tues Morning about 7 am. He takes anything and everything and off it goes to Semass, a huge incinerator/recycle center/power station. Everything goes down this conveyor, what won't burn gets sorted and recycled, what will burn gets chopped and burned. Our land fill has been closed for decades and is recycled now, but guess what ? It all goes to Semass anyway, what a joke ! Pay for a dump sticker, sort all your crap, pay extra for certain items, even buy their special bags for trash and it all goes to a sorting center anyway and you have to drive it all to the dump.. This guy picks up right at our driveway.

My recycling won't take them so I use some for cat litter and the rest go in the trash

plastic bags get caught in the machinery in many recycling centers - they go to the landfill in most - same with dirty jars or anything not cleaned out and contaminated - to the dump !

The problem is that it's all up to the locality or recycling center. They take what they want to take. The bags are recyclable, but as others have noted, it's a matter of how easy/profitable it is to do that. If the ease and margin are not there, they can just say no.

Reactions: h2ochild and bogieb
The problem is that it's all up to the locality or recycling center. They take what they want to take. The bags are recyclable, but as others have noted, it's a matter of how easy/profitable it is to do that. If the ease and margin are not there, they can just say no.

Our town has recently had to start putting glass into regular trash. Yep, that is right, glass is no longer a recyclable. Why? Because the recycle center won't take it any more as it doesn't make them any money; which is a legitimate reason - just irks me.

Reactions: h2ochild
Yeah, agreed @Wilbur Feral and @bogieb and I don't mean to preach recycling but this irks me too. But in this capitalist society it's all about money, not saving the planet. It's really good recycling programs are in place but sad it's only used when it's profitable. I think manufacturers need to take more responsibility too. By either using more readily recyclable packaging or else having to take packaging back themselves or being partly responsible for the cost of recycling. Of course that would raise the cost to the consumer too, and I hate to say it, but perhaps rightfully so - we all need to take responsibility for what we consume ourselves, and it's by products.

Well anyway guess I've got just about a lifetime supply of trash bags then unless I try to return them to grocery store. I really don't use much trash. After my ex moved out I even ditched trash pick up. We used to fill multiple 13 gallon trash bags per week. By recycling, composting, and burning my own paper & cardboards, I'm down to maybe 1 wallmart sized shopping bag per week, and I just drop that in one of the many trash cans at work in the parking garage. I'm not sure if it might be suspicious if there is always a large wood pellet bag taking up the trash can at work every week lol.

Reactions: h2ochild
I think before anyone even begins to speak about what manufacturers should do about recycling or taking back their trash, they should first investigate what some ( yes I said some) manufacturers already do. I sat on a safety board in a fairly large company and that automatically meant being part of other concerns within the company. Not the least of which was recycling. There was a whole department developed just for recycling alone, employees starting from an assigned VP on down, costing over 1.2 Million to run, including community outreach and community education about recycling. And rightfully so they should do outreach, to educate a public who just can't seem to stop littering the sides of our roads and highways. I happen to live on a state road and there just about is not a day and certainly not a week that goes by that I don't pick up beer cans, maybe tray of McDonalds stuff, bags of Burger King, or even just plastic nip bottles or soft drink cans or bottles off my banking down here. Pigs ! You guys want to talk about irked . It is not the manufacturers fault that some people/ more people than I'd like to acknowledge about are just plain old pigs. Period. My property frontage is but a spec of land along highways, back lots, even at our boat landings I see trash.

Last edited:
I have several kitties (that's Berkeley and Ann Arbor, also known as Annie, in my profile pic :)) so I use the bags mostly for used cat litter; they are great for that (and I only "fill" them to about the 1/5 level so the bags aren't too heavy). Unfortunately my pellets (Cleanfire) come in mostly-clear bags so you can see what is in them. I am sure my trash collectors liked it better when they didn't have to see my kitties' pee clumps and poop (I used to use just regular grocery store bags, but I would always have to use at least 2 bags so I was always running out).

Those that aren't used for cat litter get used for regular trash, or occasionally I will roll up the bags and use them for packing material.

I hate just throwing them away!

I have several kitties (that's Berkeley and Ann Arbor, also known as Annie, in my profile pic :)) so I use the bags mostly for used cat litter; they are great for that (and I only "fill" them to about the 1/5 level so the bags aren't too heavy). Unfortunately my pellets (Cleanfire) come in mostly-clear bags so you can see what is in them. I am sure my trash collectors liked it better when they didn't have to see my kitties' pee clumps and poop (I used to use just regular grocery store bags, but I would always have to use at least 2 bags so I was always running out).

Those that aren't used for cat litter get used for regular trash, or occasionally I will roll up the bags and use them for packing material.

I hate just throwing them away!
We have four Karen. We recently lost three of our older cats one at a time over the last year so my wife decided to get two kittens, brothers from a litter. So we have an 11 yo brother and sister and 8 mo brothers now. The new ones are named Simon and Shuster.

Reactions: karen_in_nh_2014
We have four Karen. We recently lost three of our older cats one at a time over the last year so my wife decided to get two kittens, brothers from a litter. So we have an 11 yo brother and sister and 8 mo brothers now. The new ones are named Simon and Shuster.

Awwww, so sorry you and your wife have lost so many so recently. They really burrow deep in our hearts, don't they? So hard to lose them.

Love your new kitties' names. :)

(Having cats is a great reason to use pellets, LOL! My kitties love the fire and I love the bags!!)

Reactions: alternativeheat
Status
Not open for further replies.