Red Elm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefighter938

Feeling the Heat
Dec 25, 2014
Central Indiana
Last winter I took down several standing dead red elm and c/s/s it immediately at my house in the sun and wind.

I have been burning it mixed with some silver maple, and I must say red elm is primo wood.

I looked at the charts and it isn't listed nearly as high as I would expect. This wood burns great and coals very nicely. I have about a cord that I was planning on using early this winter, but I might have to save it for Febuary.

I have been up to my ears in dead ash, but will skip over it whenever I see another standing dead red elm.

Reactions: TheBigIron
I like good dry elm myself.I find it burns just as you stated.Can't figure why it doesn't get a higher rating.I have a cord of elm calling me to split it.I call back not until it gets real cold.I split the old fashion way and that wood is no joke to split.How did you split yours ?

Love red elm. Won't take American elm unless it falls near my stacks. And yes it does seem to burn much hotter and longer than listed. Love the color too. Splits like ash. great stuff.

I agree. I'm not sure why red elm doesn't rank higher...but then again, those ratings don't always agree, anyway.

I like elm as well, as others have said tough to split but nice heat!

A little colder here this morning so I decided to try the red elm by itself. Not a bad pile of coals after 3hrs in the old smoke dragon.

image.jpeg

Reactions: TheBigIron
Red elm is great. When seasoned, it turns very hard and burns great. Bark almost always falls off, leaving a very smooth piece of firewood.

american elm is a pain to split..... but was in my yard and now its in piles in my yard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.