Reducing front clearance requirements?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DaBurner87

Sep 17, 2021
New York
I want to put a wood burning stove in my house, but I have a huge clearance dilemma. The space is plenty wide(13ft), but only 22 inches in depth. It is a raised concrete platform, and at absolute max I have 22 inches from the back wall to the end. When the platform stops, it drops down about 6 or 8 inches which is where I have baseboard radiators that I cannot remove. I can put down a non combustible base that can extend about 4 inches past the platform's end which would give me a maximum of 26 inches from the back wall. The problem I'm having is almost every wood burning stove I've found requires 18 inches in front to be "legal".

Now I am aware that I can use double walled pipe and a heat shield to get closer to the back wall, but when taking that into consideration, and the stoves depth, I cannot fit a stove on this platform legally. Does anyone know of stoves that can help me get around these clearance issues? Perhaps a wide stove with little depth? I've gone to the fireplace stores near me and they all say you need "18 inches" in front of the stove.

Any help greatly appreciated.

This is to give an idea of my platform and plans. At the base of the platform where it drops is a radiator that I cannot remove.

Untitled.jpg

What stove are you thinking of putting in? Most are deeper than 24" and that doesn't include the rear clearance requirement.

The stove I have been looking at is a Chesterfield 5 Wide Model.

I can't seem to find it in America though. If you click on the "Tech Specs" it's clearances are in range. It states with a heat shield it can be 2 inches from the back wall. The wide unit is only has a 14" depth. And the font space clearance shows 7-9 inches depending on how you install it. That is the closest thing I could find close to fitting my situation. That would be 23-25 inches total. The problem is I can't find a place to order the stove from. I wonder if there are more Wide style stoves in America that I could look at with similar clearances.

Whats the floor below the cement bump out?

^Laminate.
I'm sorry for not being more specific, under the laminate? I'm just envisioning concrete as the main floor since you say the walls are block and the bump out is cement.

The stove I have been looking at is a Chesterfield 5 Wide Model.

I can't seem to find it in America though. If you click on the "Tech Specs" it's clearances are in range. It states with a heat shield it can be 2 inches from the back wall. The wide unit is only has a 14" depth. And the font space clearance shows 7-9 inches depending on how you install it. That is the closest thing I could find close to fitting my situation. That would be 23-25 inches total. The problem is I can't find a place to order the stove from. I wonder if there are more Wide style stoves in America that I could look at with similar clearances.
Stovax stoves are not sold in America to my knowledge. They are not EPA approved.

Are there any similar EPA approved stoves that are wider with less depth? I would like to find something with the Chesterfield 5 WIDE specs in America but I cant seem to find anything like it. Or is there a website with size charts to compare? Im starting to pull my hair out, I need a stove asap. I need to finish this room by Xmas time.

I can't recall one like that now for sale. The Chesterfield looks like it would spill smoke everytime the door is opened unless draft is very strong. The Morso 7110 might work, but it is smaller. It qualifies for the 26% tax credit.

The Jotul F100 or F3CB would have come close with a rear wall shield.