Reducing stove pipe size for tipi

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cantfeelmytoes

Oct 17, 2020
Colorado
Hello, I’m currently living in a tipi at 7000 feet in the rockies and recently picked up my first wood stove. I’d like to avoid cutting or any permanent modifications, as we will likely revert back to an open fire once overnight temps jump back up. The stove is the us stove model US 1269E and has a 6” flu. It would make things a lot easier if I could reduce the piping to 4” but realize this will have an impact on stove performance.

You've answered your own question. No, it should not be reduced. Be careful with this stove, it is notorious for issues with controlling the air, poor quality and cracking.

A tipi! Can you post a few pics? Sounds interesting. Especially at 7000' . Where are you at roughly in the state?

A tipi! Can you post a few pics? Sounds interesting. Especially at 7000' . Where are you at roughly in the state?
We are in the San Juans.
This is our setup as of right now.
B8594706-AC57-4E83-82A6-3594291FB40E.jpeg2EDA6A8C-ABF5-4169-B05C-9506C8940AF1.jpeg

Reactions: Grizzerbear
Nice area. No offense but it's gonna be a looooong winter feeding that stove. Keep us posted on how it goes.
Welcome to Hearth

Spent some winter nights in a friend's tipi in CT many years ago. He had an Ashley Columbian setup like this. It worked, but come midwinter I was glad I had a cabin to return to.