Refactory failing bad..what are my options?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
This past weekend it was warm enough to let the fire go out & do a good cleaning. What I found was the shoe/fountain area filled with refactory cement/material (not good!) these were not just few coin size pieces...these were thin 2"x2" chunks (lots of them). This is my third season burning this stove & at this rate the last with this refactory package!

Question 1: How will I know when the secondary system fails & the safety issue associated with running the stove?

Question 2: What do do with this stove once I determine that the stove can not be operated any longer?

Thanks

Please, not everyone at once ;-)

Diabel

Check the "Limited Lifetime Warranty" statement in the manual or online. It appears to cover the deterioration you've found.

No warranty on this puppy (3yrs old) since the company went belly up.

I had a similar question that I posted this weekend and got a few responses but nothing definitive. I have a wearing refractory as well and would like to hear the answers to your questions.

I remember a thread where someone actually made their own refactory? Maybe it was Tradergordo?

Yeah, there was someone who did it, but I think it was for a "cat' encore. VC made this one more complicated!

Status
Not open for further replies.