Refinishing a stove with lard.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still remember my mother putting lard on her wood cook stove. Worked like a charm. I usually tried to make myself busy outdoors though when she did this.

Webmaster said:
In philly they make scrapple out of them (do you know what that is?)

I know what it is. And have never put a piece of it in my mouth. And don't plan to.

If you ever do, you may be sorry. Terrible stuff it is.

pen said:
That's how I refinish cast iron cookware.

However, when it's really smoking/baking-in, it ain't smelling like french fries.

pen

Me too, and I would have used it on the disc that fills the top exit on the Hearthstone, but Olive oil works just as well for the finishing and smokes a lot less.

Scrapple is delicious! Weird people you are LOL ;)
Especially mashed up with ketchup...

spirilis said:
Scrapple is delicious! Weird people you are LOL ;)
Especially mashed up with ketchup...

Ya gotta put the Heinz or Hunts on it, as spir says!

C'mon down.........
"Locally called "everything but the oink" or made with "everything but the squeal"

You have to know how to cook it. Dredged in flour and cooked until it is brown then flip and do the same. Serve with maple syrup or Tabasco. YUM

homemade scrapple isn't bad, fried in the skillet and drenched in some of my homemade maple syrup (amish make it all around the area here in central PA).....but SCHNITZEL, well, that is another thing ENTIRELY......I WILL NOT put that stuff in my mouth I can tell you that......pig brains, anyone?? :zip:

Never had it dredged in flour, though wheat triggers stomach problems for me anyway so I won't try that one... but Heinz ketchup for sure!

I cooked up like 1/3 a big package of RAPA the other day and I'm pretty sure I tasted some of the oink in there. My wife definitely squealed in disgust as she can't stand the smell of it when cooking...

Anyway now we're way off topic :D

This reminded me of some old ads that my cousin posted on Facebook a while back. :cheese:

Attachments

• lard.jpg
    lard.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 561
spirilis said:
Never had it dredged in flour, though wheat triggers stomach problems for me anyway so I won't try that one... but Heinz ketchup for sure!

I cooked up like 1/3 a big package of RAPA the other day and I'm pretty sure I tasted some of the oink in there. My wife definitely squealed in disgust as she can't stand the smell of it when cooking...

just started a gluten-free diet myself spirilis....makes a big difference in how I feel....now if I can just get used to those rice pancakes and noodles......

Scotty Overkill said:
spirilis said:

just started a gluten-free diet myself spirilis....makes a big difference in how I feel....now if I can just get used to those rice pancakes and noodles......

I find the noodles that have potato starch are better even if they also have rice flour
Guy

Lard has ~1/2 the saturated fat as butter and no trans fat. No knocking the stuff here.

But anyway...

attachment.php

wasn't there a stove involved w/ this lard story? :)

pen

Wasn't that train finished with lard?

Status
Not open for further replies.