Reflector... for ceiling?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hawkeye1873

Nov 28, 2022
United States
We've just had our first stove installed in out single story extension. There was a nice existing 5 foot corner brick surround and an exterior block chimney. Used double wall pip as ceiling was an inch too low for regulation. Above this room is just an unused attic. We're planning on adding insulation to the attic floor eventually, but I was wondering if anyone has added a reflector to the ceiling above the stove? We're losing heat up there of course, but I've never seen a ceiling reflector, so wondering about the effectiveness, etc. Was thinking about the look of tin tiles maybe if it needs to be disguised a bit.

I was wondering if anyone has added a reflector to the ceiling above the stove?
I have. But not just above the stove, but the entire ceiling.

Back history: Old house. Old ceiling in back room made with reed and plaster. Would have loved to keep the old ceiling (historical**), but it was too damaged. So I tore it down:

md0xgyd.jpg

Then I put up reflective material across the entire ceiling.

2012-09-02-16.01.51.jpg

And added a one inch air space, and put up dry wall ceiling.

2012-09-11-14.35.21.jpg

Finished renovated room:

2016-10-08-16-36-56.jpg

However, and this in important, for a reflective layer to be effective, it needs to be backed by insulation. I have 8 in (20 cm) of insulation in the attic above that ceiling.

Has the reflective layer helped? Honestly, I have no clue. None what so ever. We never heated this room before we renovated, so have no "before" heating numbers.

But since I had to install a new ceiling anyway, and the cost was minimal to add the reflective layer, I just did it. Thinking... any little bit may help. :cool:

If you do not have an insulated ceiling, and wand to add reflective insulation, I would do it around the stove, to reflect IR near by horizontal radiant heat back at you into the room for a "feeling" of radiant heat, and not bother with the ceiling yet.

Hope this helps.

** The rest of the house the reed and plaster ceiling was in excellent shape, so we renovated and kept in place.

Last edited: