Refurbishing Harman P61-2 distribution blower questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SciGuy

Feeling the Heat
Aug 17, 2007
Constableville, NY
I've recently acquired a P61-2 in need of some TLC in order to bring it back to its former looks and performance. It's serial number 010497 so it uses the old style handle assembly which really needs to be replaced due to wear and tear on the threads of the pawl as well as brass part that the pawl screws into. I've got a couple of questions regarding updating this area.

The door opening is slightly bent outward in the area circled in my picture. I assume this is normal and used to tighten the door up as you twist the handle. Is this so?

P61-2.jpg
P61-2.jpg

Is it possible to use the updated door handle assembly with this stove? I see that it comes with a drill bit and wondered if that was used to drill out the threaded hole the old style handle uses.

Thanks for any informed replies.

Hugh

Here's what that feature on my P61 looks like...

Attachments

• P61 Lock.jpg
    P61 Lock.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 230
  • P61 Lock-2.jpg
    P61 Lock-2.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 218
Here's what that feature on my P61 looks like...

Thanks for the quick reply DAKSY,

That's sure a good bit different than the stove we've got. Does your use the new style handle?

new style handle kit.jpg

or the old style handle that's on our unit?
Old style handle kit.jpg

I was a bit surprised seeing the slot but have no experience seeing this vintage of Harman and still wonder if the new style handle kit can be made to fit by drilling.

Hugh

Now on to my next question.

The distribution blower had failed the previous owner last winter and he did a quick cob job installing a different style blower that he removed when I purchased the stove. I see the square opening the blower will mount to with two holes for bolts but the bolts are missing.

Two questions:

Is there a gasket needed between the distribution blower and stove? The parts manual doesn't seem to show one.

What size/type bolts are used to hold the blower to the stove? I've read 7/16" self tapping but the 7/16" is the head size rather than diameter of the bolt it self. I'm hoping that the holes are in good shape. I've Google searched for pictures or videos of the installation with no luck at all. If I'd removed the unit myself the new installation would be apparent. I've decided to go with the $58 Dayton blower through Amazon.

Thanks for any replies,

Hugh

Hey Hugh. How is the refurbishing going?

Hi Jeff,

She's ready to go but I delayed too long on painting her unless we get a bit of a warm spell or I fire up the barrel stove in the shop. I was able to pick up a 2014 P43 in dire need of an extreme deep clean that's sitting in front of the fire place at the moment. A very nice 4" stainless flex pipe chimney liner system came our way via Craigslist for $50 so I've installed that with the bottom few feet of the tile flue plugged with a 6:1 perlite:cement mix followed by loose perlite filling the rest of the way to the top of the flue. Initial firing is waiting on a flex pipe to Duravent adapter that's supposed to arrive on Monday. A Dwyer magnehelic 0 to 1.0 gauge is also on its way here to tune the draft setting that the tall insulated chimney may induce:) We'll see how well the P43 heats the place before making a decision on the P-61's fate.

Hope you're having a good fall,
Heating season is here:)

Hugh

We have sold 178 stoves since December 1st. This NYSERDA program is kicked in. You have your liner in already so you should come and get the insert for a few hundred dollars.