Refurbishing Jotul Alpha (1989)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SperamusMeliora

Dec 5, 2018
Michigan
I recently came into possession of a Jotul Alpha manufactured in 1989. The idea is to eventually use this to heat my detached two car garage workshop. I have had zero experience with woodstoves so I am learning as I go.

The stove appears to have the majority of parts aside from a hinge pin, and a few other bolts that have broken when I've tried to remove them. Unfortunately the stove does have a large amount of internal rust. I am at work, but am happy to post pictures of said rust when I get home.

My question is, do I need to remove this internal rust before use? If so, do I need to condition the inside so as to avoid rust in the future?

Any tips on refurbishing a stove or on this particular model would also be greatly appreciated. I have not been able to find much regarding this model online.

Thanks for the help!
Jon

First thing make sure your insurance company and inspecting authority is ok with putting a woodstove in a garage. Many are not, but some will allow it with additional constraints like raising it off the floor 18". Best to check before getting started.

Take a wirebrush and clean off the rust so that the interior can be properly inspected for any defects. You'll probably need to replace all gaskets including doors and the bypass gasket. Make sure the bypass mechanism is still working properly and the catalyst is in working order. The manual is still available and a helpful guide for operation and bypass adjustment.

First thing make sure your insurance company and inspecting authority is ok with putting a woodstove in a garage. Many are not, but some will allow it with additional constraints like raising it off the floor 18". Best to check before getting started.

Take a wirebrush and clean off the rust so that the interior can be properly inspected for any defects. You'll probably need to replace all gaskets including doors and the bypass gasket. Make sure the bypass mechanism is still working properly and the catalyst is in working order. The manual is still available and a helpful guide for operation and bypass adjustment.

Thank you for the info. Fortunately I had the wherewithal to check with my insurer before buying the stove.

I will be sure to take a wire brush to the inside and then evaluate the condition once that is done. I was anticipating needing to replace the catalyst. I took it out and it looks to be in somewhat decent condition, but I am almost certain it is over 10 years old. I did not think to replace the gaskets. Where is a good place to buy those? I cant see any specific to this model on the woodmansparts online store.

Also, I pulled up the manual. I appreciate the heads up on that. There were a couple threads on here that pointed me in the right direction.

OK what the deal about burning with a non EPA certified stove? Just cant sell them, or are they illegal to use?

OK what the deal about burning with a non EPA certified stove? Just cant sell them, or are they illegal to use?
It depends on the state and local regs. Out here they are illegal to sell or install. And they are not allowed to burn in a stage one burn ban. This stove was EPA approved I think.

What bolts did you break? Where you trying to disassemble stove ? As begreen stated raise this stove so bottom of fire box is at least 18” off floor , avoid storing any fuels , solvents in the garage I use a little rubber maid shed behind my garage for the paints