Regency 2400I?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

acp104

Jan 14, 2016
NW Illinois
Hello Folks,
I've been looking at an old slammer style insert recently with the intentions of adapting it to a insulated chimney liner. I've been steered away from it by folks on here suggesting a more modern higher efficiency insert. l've found a Regency insert locally (possibly a 2400) at what seems to be a really good price. It looks like there has been quite a bit of positive feedback on Regency 2400's on here over the years. Do you folks still recommend them? Do you agree that the one pictures appears to be a 2400?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Regency 2400I?
    Regency.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 292
Only thing I can say is that my brother has the free-standing 2400 and it appears to be a quality unit. His has burned many years with no problem, and if it ain't broke, he ain't gonna fix it..especially if he would have to spend money. He even made his own blower, when he saw the price of the one from Regency.

You'll need to look closely at the stove for any signs of over-firing.

Open the door & look at the corners of the opening.
If there are any cracks, that's one indicator of excessive heat.
Also look at the condition of the secondary air tubes.
They should be relatively straight with no signs of warping...

Overfiring sometimes shows up as a greying or whitening of the paint above the door. This unit looks pretty good so far. There appears to be a firebrick loosened or up in the front bottom of the stove. Check the firebrick condition too. How much are they asking for it?

Hello Folks,
I've been looking at an old slammer style insert recently with the intentions of adapting it to a insulated chimney liner. I've been steered away from it by folks on here suggesting a more modern higher efficiency insert. l've found a Regency insert locally (possibly a 2400) at what seems to be a really good price. It looks like there has been quite a bit of positive feedback on Regency 2400's on here over the years. Do you folks still recommend them? Do you agree that the one pictures appears to be a 2400?

Thanks!
Should be a UL sticker with manufacturer info on the front of the stove where the blower would slide in under the door. It should have the model number and serial number along with other info.

The one picture I see looks pretty good. You may need to replace the brick but that's normal wear. Make sure the baffle panels are above the burn tubes and they're not broken into pieces. If you want to remove a tube you need a pair of vice-grips and a hammer but they come right out.

Overfiring sometimes shows up as a greying or whitening of the paint above the door. This unit looks pretty good so far. There appears to be a firebrick loosened or up in the front bottom of the stove. Check the firebrick condition too. How much are they asking for it?

I'd rather not say. Seems to be owned by a contractor that removed it from a home while doing some remodeling that included installing a gas fireplace.

Attachments

• Regency 2400I?
    Door Opened.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 224
  • Regency 2400I?
    glass.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 203
  • Regency 2400I?
    top.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 207
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
It will need some firebricks replaced, but if there are no cracks or popped welds and the tubes look good then snap it up. That's a very good deal.

I'd rather not say. Seems to be owned by a contractor that removed it from a home while doing some remodeling that included installing a gas fireplace.
Does he have the surround and blower to go with it?

Don't forget though, you're going to need a liner installed in the fireplace to use this but seeing as you're getting the buy of the year on the stove it's a good deal.

I'm not sure what is included. I just contacted him this evening and am waiting on a reply. Might be too late...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Does he have the surround and blower to go with it?

Don't forget though, you're going to need a liner installed in the fireplace to use this but seeing as you're getting the buy of the year on the stove it's a good deal.

I did get a hold of the seller who does still have the unit, but they said the blower was bad and the surround was damaged so they don't have either. Just the insert. I gather that Regency parts are pretty expensive. At this point I'm wondering wondering what a surround and blower would cost and if it isn't worth messing with.

I'd still take it as long as it passes the above mentioned inspection. A blower can often be rebuilt, or the motor replaced, or a 3d party replacement found. The insert doesn't need a surround when connected to a full liner, but one could be fabricated out of sheet metal and painted. Or try it for a year without and then if you decide you want to buy a surround I'd expect that to run about $250? If the insert works well you've still saved a lot of money.

I can look up something for you if you'd like but you'd have to message me. If you can't find a Regency dealer close to you let me know. Even if you spend an extra 4 or 500 bucks total for new stuff you're going to have an insert that is listing for over 2500 bucks so.....

Check with your local Regency dealer. He may have some older parts in inventory.
New parts will probably be in the $600-700 range...

Sounds like you guys all think this is a pretty good quality insert. I will have to try to get it bought. Wish the seller hadn't of trashed the blower and surround...

Sounds like you guys all think this is a pretty good quality insert. I will have to try to get it bought. Wish the seller hadn't of trashed the blower and surround...

I'd buy it in a heartbeat. If you decided you didn't want it.......and weren't so far away ;hm

Ok, finally was able to get this insert bought this morning for $150. I didn't see anything that I felt was obvious over firing damage. The front secondary tube is bowed a bit in the middle which I assume isn't factory, but it didn't seem like something that would be a problem. Here are some additional pics I took once I got it home. Looks like it's listed as just a medium insert on the tag. Is this an early version of the i2400?
Regency 2400I? Regency 2400I? Regency 2400I? Regency 2400I?

Reactions: Woody Stover
Doesn't look too bad for $150. >> If you can, put in a new burn tube, replace a few bricks, and see what she does. ==c Not sure about the age. Maybe Regency can tell you, based on the serial number..?

Last edited:
Well, looks like the model for this is an R14 Medium Insert. Again, I assume it was a predascessor to the current i2400. The burn tubes appear to be welded in place unlike the current model with it's removable tubes.

Great, that's $50 less than expected. To perform well then insert could use a little loving, but it may be good to go. Before installing I'd consider cutting out the secondary tube and having a new stainless tube fitted. And I'd get the blower fixed or the motor replaced. That and a couple firebricks should have you set for a nice heating experience.

Great, that's $50 less than expected. To perform well then insert could use a little loving, but it may be good to go. Before installing I'd consider cutting out the secondary tube and having a new stainless tube fitted. And I'd get the blower fixed or the motor replaced. That and a couple firebricks should have you set for a nice heating experience.
Unfortunately the owner didn't even have the blower. He scrapped the blower and surround when he salvaged the insert from the house he remodeled.

:mad: Bozo.