Regency ci2600 in Power Outage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mtnhiker70

Jan 5, 2011
RI
We had a big snowstorm here. The power went out. We had to burn with our insert’s door open, otherwise it output very little heat.

After 24 hrs with the power out, our house was in the 50s. I bought this insert as a backup in a power outage. Not thrilled. It really does very little without the blower. I wish there was a cheap factory battery backup power supply. Wanted to post this to help others considering similar.

We had a big snowstorm here. The power went out. We had to burn with our insert’s door open, otherwise it output very little heat.

After 24 hrs with the power out, our house was in the 50s. I bought this insert as a backup in a power outage. Not thrilled. It really does very little without the blower. I wish there was a cheap factory battery backup power supply. Wanted to post this to help others considering similar.
This is one of the downsides of a flush insert. They need the blower to convect heat.

I should also mention, it’s not very cold outside. High of 36 today and yesterday!
By burning with the door open you made the problem worse. There are many inserts out there that heat ok without the blower but not flush ones like the 2600.

Reactions: Allagash350
Maybe try taking the trim off this way the stove is exposed and buy one of those stove fans the runs on heat. I have a back up generator so I’m not sure if that will work I have not tested the idea. What are other people’s thoughts?

Harbor freight 900w generator is $88 with 20% coupon that is $70 enough to keep you blower running

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I lost power for a week back when I had the princess insert. Kept the main floor 70 upstairs bedrooms were low 60s, not great but I didn't have to find somewhere else to stay for the week like a lot of people did. I was big on the flush insert until I read more on here. Even went a step further and put a freestanders in fron t if the F/P. Lost power the other night. Temp stayed in the 70s.

Hey, I have FPX flush hybrid insert and was able to keep my house in 68-70 range for 3 days with no power. Burning with open door was your major mistake. I just sucks all the air out of the house. Here is some tips:

Bring the temperature up before possible outage. It's much easier to maintain temp than getting it up.

Keep your insert in working temp range and start to burn as hot as you can but put smaller loads so you can control it. Try to reload as much as you can.

Close all the doors in rooms you don't use.

Use your best dry wood and choke as needed so you can get good secondaries