Regency Ci2700 BTU with & without blower? Looking for advice/experience

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

erock123456789

Sep 22, 2020
Boston
Hi All,

I am just biting the bullet on installing the Ci2700 and pretty excited. The high efficiency / eco friendly, long burn times and slim design were pretty important considerations for my wife and I. However another big one for me was heat in a power outage as we live on a street with a ton of old trees and above ground power lines. Anyway, I was all excited after the installer came to confirm all final measurements and got into the convo with a buddy who has several regency stoves and he isn't trash talking but pretty convinced that if the power goes out and the blower isn't running it will throw very little heat compared to the more traditional inserts that stick out of the fireplace 6". I have a hard time buying this as its just not that much increased surface area but I am a total noob. I buy that those stoves that protrude out throw a little more heat but I am trying to get a sense of what that looks like. Without the blower will I get half the BTU? 75%? 20%? I know there isn't a perfect answer, you've got wood quality to consider and all that jazz but looking for back of a napkin type math.

Would welcome any perspective, I can still change the unit but I really like the Ci2700 for the reasons above and others. If it was a significant decreased output compared to one that protrudes out a little I might go back to the drawing board.

Anyway, I've been trying to google and find some more info and came across this forum so thought I'd ask!

Appreciate any help!

The insert heats two ways. Radiantly and convectively. The radiant heat will still be strong from the door. The convective heat will be somewhat anemic without the blower running. The insert depends on the blower to move the room air around the jacket surrounding the firebox. I don't have any figures, but I would guess 75% less if not more. But that is just a guess.

appreciate the quick reply!

this is likely a stupid follow up question but are you saying that the convective heat will be anemic with just the flush Ci2700 or generally speaking with the regency wood inserts?

It will be anemic without the blower running. This is typical of flush inserts, not just the Ci2700.