Regency GCI60 Pellet Insert Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Webgurl

Dec 3, 2015
Hello,

I have a lovely new pellet stove insert that I started up for the first time tonight.

IT IS A REGENCY CGI60 PELLET INSERT BY HAMPTON (Not an M55 Enviro)

I filled with a large hod of pellets which I think are at least medium grade. I set the grade to medium.
I set the operation to Manual and pressed ON. Set the heat to high.

Got a fire, but on the sides of the burn box not in the middle and after about 10 minutes it went out... I still see pellets at the top of the hopper so it must still be full.

I noticed that no pellets were dropping into the burn box so that must be why the fire went out.

How to adjust the frequency with which the pellets drop into the box? I tried pressing Feed Trim but nothing happened.

Thanks for helping this helpless widow!

I guess it's a gci 60 not a gc 160. Sorry for the error.. GCI60 = three letters, two numbers.

Last edited:
Did the installer test fire the stove once installation was complete? Did they run through how to use the stove with you?

Filled the hopper with a "hod" of pellets? Were the pellets fed into the burn pot by the auger or did you add some by hand initially? Fire should only be in the burnpot ... it was overflowing the burn pot? Generally do not run these stoves on high for extended length of time as it can cause overheat problems.

Was the door to the firebox and ash pan closed tight?

Last edited:
Any flashing lights or messages on the control panel?

Nobody's perfect, least of all me! You raised all good, valid questions that I missed.

Did the installer test fire the stove once installation was complete? Did they run through how to use the stove with you?

Filled the hopper with a "hod" of pellets? Were the pellets fed into the burn pot by the auger or did you add some by hand initially? Fire should only be in the burnpot ... it was overflowing the burn pot? Generally do not run these stoves on high for extended length of time as it can cause overheat problems.

Yes the installer ran a fire which burned in the middle of the window.

He basically simply showed me where the on off button was.

I did not put any pellets inside the front of the stove by hand.

There is a rectangular area where pellets sit but then there's also a smaller square area on top of that where I thought the fire was supposed to be coming from.

Everything was closed tight yes and there were no blinking lights that I noticed.

I had it going again, for a while... tonight... I can't get the pellets to slide down into the hopper... that might be the problem. It burned in the middle for a while then went off to the sides... from the other pan under that.

Regency videos to see if things are functioning as they should and how to clean the stove. The pellet stove ones are after the gas appliance videos if you scroll down the page.
https://www.regency-fire.com/Customer-Care/Fireplace-Care-Videos

Any chance of a photo or a short video that you can post here? Upload a file is what you use to post pictures.. Not sure if I am getting a good mental image of what is happening. Pellets should be staying in the burn pot. The small square area that you refer to is likely the pellet chute from the hopper ... they slid down this into the burn pot. Wondering if the burn pot is not positioned properly or ??

Regency videos to see if things are functioning as they should and how to clean the stove. The pellet stove ones are after the gas appliance videos if you scroll down the page.
https://www.regency-fire.com/Customer-Care/Fireplace-Care-Videos

Any chance of a photo or a short video that you can post here? Upload a file is what you use to post pictures.. Not sure if I am getting a good mental image of what is happening. Pellets should be staying in the burn pot. The small square area that you refer to is likely the pellet chute from the hopper ... they slid down this into the burn pot. Wondering if the burn pot is not positioned properly or ??

Unfortunately, my type of stove is not covered. The stove pictured there has a large opening for the pellets, mine a 'slot'. I cannot lift a whole bag at once so I must scoop the pellets in and try to push them down with my hands or some other tool and even then they do not slide down easily.

When he removes the smaller section he also removes the larger just like mine. However, mine has burned for a total of 30 minutes in its whole life so I doubt cleaning is an issue.

The issue is how to get the pellet quality light to stay on the proper setting, how to get the pellets to drop down into the burn pot, and why doesn't the Feed button work to adjust this?

In these photos you can see how it was burning in the center and then on the sides.

burn_side.jpg
burn_center.jpg

I also saw nothing moving.. I was under the impression some sort of 'auger' turns around to stir up the pellets or something.

I did put a scoop in the little box today and that made a nice fire but of course that went down and the pellets are dropping but very few at a time. I guess that is the part I have to figure out how to make them drop in faster.

Last edited:
Hi. I think that your stove is a variant of the Enviro M55. Do you have a surge protector on the outlet? Did the installer set the air damper w/ a magnehelic gauge? Are the burnpot and agitator set properly into their positions? First, as it is new, contact the installer/dealer as he/she should assist you. In the meantime, go to youtube and view the enviro M55 videos showing startup and flame patterns. If your stove is this type (picture of the interior is identical to my M55), set the fuel type on premium. Be sure to select "manual" on the mode. Note that any adjustments w/ the fuel time or combustion air fan only changes their rate; all operations are software controlled. As startup progresses, you should have a roaring flame, and partway through the startup process the agitator should be turning w/ each fuel feed. Listen and watch carefully during startup; you should see pellets dropping into the burnpot. Are pellets piling up in the burnpot? The agitator should turn w/ each pellet drop midway through startup, spreading them to the sides of the burnpot. If you haven't done so, carefully read the operating instructions in the owners manual. Note that it usually takes 15 plus minutes to see any changes when you adjust settings. Last, you might edit your thread title to include the name of your stove. Stovelark and some others are very knowledgeable regarding enviro stoves and their relatives.

Lovely stove and setting.

Hi Webgirl - this is an Enviro M55 variant right?

There is no 'medium' grade setting...it is Regular, Multi-Fuel, and Premium on the M55....is yours the same?

If so put it in Premium mode (red LED). Start the stove up and CLOSE the lid. If the lid is open it will NOT feed.

To adjust fuel rate, push and HOLD the FEED button and the use the up and down arrows to adjust feed rate. When you release the feed rate button, the lights will display the heat setting you have set. If you push the FEED button again it should display the setting you input for feed rate.

Also, do you have a thermostat hooked up?? If so put the stove in 'Manual mode' until you get this sorted.

I know the stoves may be slightly different but it was more to give you the idea of what should be happening. The auger, which feeds the pellets through that small rectangular hole in the back wall into the burn pot, is located at the very bottom of the hopper. You generally don't see it because the pellets will cover it. If you can see it, it's way past time to add pellets if the stove is burning;)

You are right ... something is not right. Are you still running the stove at the highest heat level? Try burning again but at a lower heat range. The exhaust blower may be running too high forcing the pellets out of the burn pot. If it burns too hot, there is a safety feature that will stop the auger from feeding more pellets so that explains why the stove eventually shuts down.

Hi. I think that your stove is a variant of the Enviro M55. Do you have a surge protector on the outlet? Did the installer set the air damper w/ a magnehelic gauge? Are the burnpot and agitator set properly into their positions? First, as it is new, contact the installer/dealer as he/she should assist you. In the meantime, go to youtube and view the enviro M55 videos showing startup and flame patterns. If your stove is this type (picture of the interior is identical to my M55), set the fuel type on premium. Be sure to select "manual" on the mode. Note that any adjustments w/ the fuel time or combustion air fan only changes their rate; all operations are software controlled. As startup progresses, you should have a roaring flame, and partway through the startup process the agitator should be turning w/ each fuel feed. Listen and watch carefully during startup; you should see pellets dropping into the burnpot. Are pellets piling up in the burnpot? The agitator should turn w/ each pellet drop midway through startup, spreading them to the sides of the burnpot. If you haven't done so, carefully read the operating instructions in the owners manual. Note that it usually takes 15 plus minutes to see any changes when you adjust settings. Last, you might edit your thread title to include the name of your stove. Stovelark and some others are very knowledgeable regarding enviro stoves and their relatives.

Thanks! Wait until you see what I do with the total reno of the room :) I had the stoves swapped out while I did not care what happened to the floor, and figured if I got that done first, then my new floors and rugs would remain intact. My old wood stove had never been lit so the removal was not too messy and the man who took it was happy to have it.

I have no idea what the installer did but the smoke is going up the chimney as it is supposed to.
The parts are in their proper positions, as they were when he lit it.
The Enviro M55 agitator is similar and that's likely the noise I am hearing.
As for the burn pattern video, I did manage to get the flame that high with priming.
When it goes down, it's just sparks.
I guess I have to see how to make the flame 'lean' again.
I still get burning out the sides of the burn pot underneath, but I see that on the M55 too.

I think I was able to get more pellets to drop faster this time...

Here is the full monty for your viewing pleasure!

full_stove.jpg

Hi Webgirl - this is an Enviro M55 variant right?

There is no 'medium' grade setting...it is Regular, Multi-Fuel, and Premium on the M55....is yours the same?

If so put it in Premium mode (red LED). Start the stove up and CLOSE the lid. If the lid is open it will NOT feed.

To adjust fuel rate, push and HOLD the FEED button and the use the up and down arrows to adjust feed rate. When you release the feed rate button, the lights will display the heat setting you have set. If you push the FEED button again it should display the setting you input for feed rate.

Also, do you have a thermostat hooked up?? If so put the stove in 'Manual mode' until you get this sorted.

Uh no, it's a CGI60 Regency, nothing to do with Enviro M55 that I know of.
Yes there is a medium setting, which is green. Premium is red, bio/cheap is yellow.
I know about the lid being open... of course. This is not a wood stove. You cannot just open it anytime you want.

I think I got the FEED up to 4.
The stove is always on Manual mode...

By George I think I've got it.

And the kitty cat sits on his perch and is fascinated with the light show. :)

cat_fire.jpg

Hi. Do you have a surge protector on the outlet? Are pellets piling up in the burnpot? The agitator should turn w/ each pellet drop midway through startup, spreading them to the sides of the burnpot. If you haven't done so, carefully read the operating instructions in the owners manual. Last, you might edit your thread title to include the name of your stove. Stovelark and some others are very knowledgeable regarding enviro stoves and their relatives.

Oops forgot to answer these. Yes there is a surge protector. Pellets do not pile up as much as when I put them in there myself before starting up this time. I did read the instructions every day since November 9th when the stove was installed. (Yes I'm slow and cautious!) And I did include the name of my stove in the title, it's a CGI60 Regency Pellet Insert, NOT an M55 Enviro, which someone else added?

Hope you enjoyed the full pics of my messy house. Will be cleaning and doing a complete reno to get rid of carpet for hardwood and some new furniture coverings and area rugs.

Your insert and the Enviro M55 are not identical but many of the components are the same and the basic process is the same. Enviro has many more customer resources/videos that could be helpful. http://enviro.com/media/videos/ see Pellet Operational Videos

What brand of pellets are you using? Are there many that are over 1" long? They could be "bridging" in the hopper ... leaving an empty space over the hopper so pellets stop dropping into the burnpot. I had one brand that I had to use a piece of wooden dowelling to "stir" the pellets ... you could see them settle farther down in the hopper. I had come home to the stove out with a full hopper of pellets. I started mixing them with better pellets just to use them up and never bought them again.

Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 2.51.32 PM.png
Your insert and the Enviro M55 are not identical but many of the components are the same and the basic process is the same. Enviro has many more customer resources/videos that could be helpful. http://enviro.com/media/videos/ see Pellet Operational Videos

What brand of pellets are you using? Are there many that are over 1" long? They could be "bridging" in the hopper ... leaving an empty space over the hopper so pellets stop dropping into the burnpot. I had one brand that I had to use a piece of wooden dowelling to "stir" the pellets ... you could see them settle farther down in the hopper. I had come home to the stove out with a full hopper of pellets. I started mixing them with better pellets just to use them up and never bought them again.

I try to buy the best quality and no, they are not too long, there are a few that seem 1" but most are less.

I just checked and I guess I'm using premium grade.

Last edited:
looks like you are burning Green Team pellets from Lowes? They are a decent pellet and would not be a source of problem. Just turn up the feed rate if you're losing flame.

I'd guess your stove also hase a restrictor plate installed in the hopper?

They looked pretty clean, were marked premium... not sure about the restrictor plate...? Maybe you can find out here:
https://www.regency-fire.com/Products/Pellet/Pellet-Inserts/GCI60

Someone with the stove will have to comment. I'd assume it does, you can search the Enviro M55C restrictor plate threads to see what I am talking about.

My only other suggestion would be the close the draft door slightly and/or turn down the combustion air trim. This will slow down the burn. Both are easy to do but I cannot direct you on this remotely as I cant see what the flame is doing.

Also FYI burning off to the side seems to be normal for the first 20 min or hour on a fresh clean. As the burn pot fills in slightly it will burn in the middle.

Reactions: Lake Girl
Someone with the stove will have to comment. I'd assume it does, you can search the Enviro M55C restrictor plate threads to see what I am talking about.

My only other suggestion would be the close the draft door slightly and/or turn down the combustion air trim. This will slow down the burn. Both are easy to do but I cannot direct you on this remotely as I cant see what the flame is doing.

Also FYI burning off to the side seems to be normal for the first 20 min or hour on a fresh clean. As the burn pot fills in slightly it will burn in the middle.

Yes it seems to alternate from one to the other.... and from looking at pictures of how other stoves are burning, I guess it's OK.. the box is big so there is nothing to keep the fire from going anywhere within it. I can't understand why the structure is the way it is, but then again I had no idea pellet stoves were powered by electricity or were this complicated or I might have stuck with my wood stove that also burned coal pellets. But this one is prettier and will be more in tune with my renovated house.

A HOD is the container you see on my hearth in the photos above. It's a bucket with an elongated shape at the top to make it easy to pour coal or wood pellets into the hopper.

Reactions: Lake Girl